Facilities and Operations Manager
For 50 years, The Lab School of Washington has been providing an exceptional, college-preparatory academic experience for students (grades 1-12) with ADHD, dyslexia, and other language-based learning differences. Our innovative, arts-centered curriculum is experiential and multi-sensory, helping young people to overcome difficulties with reading, spelling, writing, and math, while preparing them for a range of rewarding college and career choices.
The Lab School of Washington is situated in the Palisades neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Located minutes from historic Georgetown, the Potomac waterfront, and a short drive to the museums, monuments, and other local historic sites, The Lab School spans two campuses, just a half-mile apart, including 135,000 sf under roof.
The Lab School of Washington is seeking a hands-on Facilities and Operations Manager to ensure the physical assets of the school meet the needs and enhance the experience and safety of our community.
The Facilities Manager reports to the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations. At Lab School every adult is part of the educational village, and the operations and facilities staff is no exception.
The Lab School values its progressive philosophy of education that for 50 years has guided project-based learning for students with average and above intellectual abilities whose minds need to be nourished while they take the extra time they need to acquire proficient reading and writing skills. Through exposure to the arts, immersion in experiential learning opportunities, and engagement in hands-on science labs, Lab students discover the joy of learning and have practice in problem solving at an early age. Diversity is celebrated and cultural competency is a primary goal.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Audra Gray at email@example.com.
Areas of responsibility include:
- With the Associate Head for Finance and Operations, design and implement the facilities strategic vision.
- Plan and implement improvements to, preventative maintenance and repair of, assets spanning 1880s buildings to one completed in 2016, from ancient MEP systems to state of the art, four vehicles, playgrounds, turf field, and wetlands.
Crew Chief and Project Manager
- Lead, teach, encourage and manage an operations staff of six, as well as HVAC, MEP, air quality, traffic management, landscaping, cleaning and construction vendors.
- Analyze and adjust workflow to maximize efficiencies.
- Manage rental and event facilities usage.
- Manage capital improvement projects.
Campus Safety and Security Leader
- Serve as a member of campus-wide safety and security committees.
- Continually develop emergency management improvements and take leadership in identifying policy and procedure best practices.
- Monitor compliance with traffic, air quality, asbestos and safety systems.
- Assist in the development of a multi-year capital expenditure plan.
- Develop and manage the annual repair and maintenance budget.
- Drive analysis and purchasing of utilities.
Active Communicator and Essential Member of the Community
- Ensure customer service is the mantra of the operations team.
- Listen intently and over-communicate to Head, Associate Heads, administrators, faculty and staff about facilities opportunities and issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in engineering or facilities management,
- At least five years’ experience managing people and facilities,
- Demonstrated success working with and managing MEP and construction trades,
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills,
- Technology literate and curious, proficient in Excel, Word, and Microsoft Office Suite,
- Conversational Spanish a plus,
- High degree of integrity, trustworthiness, and confidentiality; reliable, responsible, and vigilant,
- Professional and gracious demeanor and presentation,
- Extremely organized, able to multi-task effectively and attentive to detail,
- Proactive, optimistic attitude and positive spirit,
- Flexible and eager to learn.
Apply for Facilities and Operations Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly