Bilingual Program Assistant, Legal Network for Gender Equality
The National Women’s Law Center seeks a Bilingual (English/Spanish) Program Assistant to provide program and administrative support to its Legal Network for Gender Equity and the newly instituted TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund. The Center’s Legal Network for Gender Equity connects individuals experiencing a broad array of types of sex discrimination with attorneys willing to take on sex discrimination cases. The TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund, housed at and administered by the Center, connects those who experience sexual misconduct in the workplace or in trying to advance their careers (including assault, harassment, abuse and related retaliation) with legal and public relations assistance, using the infrastructure of the Legal Network. The Fund also provides financial support to defray the costs of legal representation and/or public relations assistance in select cases. The position is for a term of three years, with a possibility of extension dependent on the continued availability of funding. This is a non-exempt position.
Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income – and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation.
The Program Assistant provides critical administrative support to NWLC’s Legal Network for Gender Equity and the NWLC-administered TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund.
- Administer TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund disbursement processes.
- Collecting and organizing supporting documentation for applications for TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund funding.
- Assisting with conference, event, and meeting organization, preparation, and execution.
- Providing administrative support to NWLC’s Legal Network for Gender Equity and to the NWLC-administered TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund, including responding to routine inquiries from Network attorneys and people requesting legal assistance.
- Creating/editing correspondence and other documents and preparing documents for distribution, including formatting fact sheets and flyers in InDesign.
- Arranging travel and preparing expense reports.
- Maintaining files and databases.
- Posting and formatting content on the NWLC website using WordPress.
- As needed: providing other program, administrative, and organization-wide support (e.g. limited back-up receptionist).
- Translating and responding to Spanish-language intakes
Experience and Qualifications
The candidate must have:
- A college degree or at least two years’ college and two years work-related experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong computer skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including experience scheduling meetings in Outlook and managing spreadsheets in Excel.
- Strong office skills including attention to detail, proofreading, and excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Experience with direct services, especially experience working with survivors of sexual harassment and sexual violence.
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and complete work independently.
- Flexibility, good judgment and the ability to handle multiple, concurrent tasks in an effective manner.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Spanish.
- A demonstrated commitment to the work of the Center.
- Experience with low-income communities, communities of color, and/or LGBTQ communities.
- Experience with InDesign and WordPress.
First year salary $41,500
If you are interested in joining the NWLC team, submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume, and three supervisory references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to PAlegalnetwork@nwlc.org and include position title “Program Assistant Legal Network” in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of all genders, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036