5 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position, up to 15% of the time.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Applicants will be evaluated to determine if they meet the minimum qualification requirements and on the extent to which their application shows possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position:
1. Skill in litigating to include: drafting legal pleadings, motions, and briefs; cross-examination of expert witnesses; and negotiating settlements.
2. Skill in executing advanced principles and practices of the legal profession in the areas of transportation, communications, and public utilities to provide expert legal services in representing the Government's interest before courts and other regulatory bodies.
3. Knowledge of methods and procedures involved in the issuance of legal opinions and procedures to be followed in such decisions or responding to appeals.
4. Skill in providing legal services relating to all areas of utility law, utility acquisition, and energy development, as well as representing the agency before courts and regulatory bodies concerning such matters.
5. Skill in advising, planning, developing, and coordinating all legal functions relating to transportation communications, gas and electric, and water and sewer public utilities.
6. Skill in developing and preparing evidence for presentation based on information provided by a team of specialists consisting of rate experts, economists, tariff specialists, accountants, and other technical experts.
Notice of Veteran's Preference: There is no formal rating system for applying veteran's preference to Attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Department of the Army considers veteran's preference eligibility a positive factor for Attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documents (e.g., DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to their submissions. Although the point-preference system is not used, applicants eligible to claim a 10-point preference must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point preference, and supporting documentation required for the specific type of preference claimed. (SF 15, which lists the types of 10-point preference and the required supporting documents, is available from the Office of Personnel Management Website at http://www.opm.gov/).
Time in Grade Requirements: If currently employed as an attorney by the Federal Government, you must have completed 1 year at the next lower grade level within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement, or previously served at the same or higher grade as the position being filled.
The following minimum qualification requirements must be met before applicants are eligible for further consideration:
- Education: Applicant must have successfully completed a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD).
- Bar membership: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- Experience: Applicant must have three (3) or more years of professional legal experience, acquired after being admitted to the bar, commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of the position. Graduation from an ABA-accredited law school in the top 25% of the class or an advanced law degree such as an LLM may substitute for one year of the required professional legal experience.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- To successfully claim veteran's preference, your resume/supplemental data must clearly show your entitlement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be evaluated for basic qualification requirements and for the skills needed to perform the duties of the position, as described in this Vacancy Announcement and identified by the Selecting Official.Read more Security clearance Secret