Teacher - Agricultural Science (0.5 FTE)
6 days left
- Full Time
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Provide for instruction in agricultural science courses offered by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and approved by the Maryland State Department of Education. The agricultural science teacher is to assist and supervise all students in developing a Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE). In addition, the agricultural science teacher will serve as advisor of the local FFA chapter and promote FFA activities as an integral part of the agricultural science experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Plans, prepares and presents lessons, assignments and instructional materials to students in an appropriate manner.
2. Develops, selects and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students.
3. Selects and uses appropriate instructional strategies to include lectures, group discussions, demonstrations, modeling and multi-media teaching aids to present subject matter to students.
4. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to effective learning and supervises students in a variety of school-related settings.
5. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities, including farm equipment and machinery.
6. Maintains order and discipline in the classroom conducive to effective learning and supervises students in a variety of school-related settings.
7. Keeps attendance and grade records as required by Board Policy Administrative Regulation.
8. Prepares, administers and corrects evaluations and assessments, and records results.
9. Counsels pupils when academic and adjustment problems arise.
10. Confers with parents and students regarding progress/problems of assigned students; arranges and participates in teacher-parent or teacher-student conferences as necessary.
11. Assists students with showing livestock, crops, and agricultural mechanics projects at fairs and shows.
12. Promotes and offers agricultural adult education opportunities to the community.
13. Serves on special committees.
14. Attends and actively participates in staff/faculty meetings; and provides input regarding the planning of instructional goals, objectives and methods.
15. Evaluates student progress using appropriate assessment techniques.
16. Improves skill and knowledge base in current trends, research and methodology in instructional techniques, technology, multicultural content, problem solving and interdisciplinary connections.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
· Three (3) years of teaching agricultural science and/or work-related experience in agriculture/agricultural technology fields preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of school organization, goals and objectives with special emphasis on teaching techniques.
· Knowledge of materials and equipment used in agricultural science field.
· Knowledge of current trends and research in agricultural science.
· Ability to work on slippery or uneven surfaces both inside and outside.
· Ability to work with livestock, within varying agricultural settings, and around machinery with moving parts.
· Ability to speak and write effectively.
· Ability to deal effectively with students, staff and parents.
· Ability to employ a variety of teaching styles to respond to the needs of diverse learners.
· Familiarity or experience with electronic leave reporting/substitute requesting systems (e.g. SmartFind Express), electronic grade reporting (e.g. Power Teacher GradeBook) and electronic teacher/parent communication tool (e.g. ParentConnect) and ability to use instructional technology hardware such as document cameras, presents and SmartBoards, etc.
· Ability to employ business technology tools as required of all AACPS employees, e.g. email, obtaining relevant AACPS employee information through the AACPS intranet, employing the electronic benefits enrollment tool and any other electronic tools implemented in the future.
· Knowledge of and proficiency in technical areas of instruction.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
· Eligible for Maryland State Board of Education professional certificate appropriate to area of assignment.
· Certification in Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE) preferred.
Career Ladder Requirements
· As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.