Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience
Web Announcement :
The George Mason University, Honors College is looking for an organized, energetic, self-motivated academic advisor who will be responsible for group and individual academic advising of undergraduates in the Honors College. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Communicating Honors College and major degree requirements;
- Developing and conveying information about available opportunities (e.g. internships, study abroad, research experiences, special programs);
- Maintaining records of student success in obtaining available opportunities;
- Helping students explore alternative majors, double majors and minors;
- Educating students about university deadlines, policies and procedures;
- Helping students initiate academic actions (e.g. course substitutions, transfer credit inquires and evaluations);
- Maintaining advising materials;
- Keeping current on continually changing curriculum requirements;
- Participating in orientation and recruitment activities;
- Communicating student needs, concerns, and requests to appropriate members of the Honors College team;
- Referring students with academic progress issues or special requests to appropriate offices;
- Monitoring student progress and proactive advising;
- Performing graduation audits;
- Serving on committees, as appropriate; and
- Collaborating and consulting with academic advisors in the appropriate major departments as needed. Required Qualifications:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated academic advising experience at the university level; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Preferred Qualifications:
- Significant demonstrated academic advising experience at university level;
- Knowledge of SSC-Campus, DegreeWorks, or Banner; and
- General knowledge of the principles, practices and trends in the areas of academic advising, student persistence, retention, and degree completion.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :