Chief, Fire and Rescue Department
Fairfax County, VA is seeking a Chief to lead its Fire and Rescue Department. The Chief plans, coordinates, and directs the overall operation of the Fire and Rescue Department and its activities related to fire suppression, hazardous material abatement, emergency response, fire prevention, technical rescue, and administrative and support services. In addition, the Chief serves as the Fire Marshal for Fairfax County and provides leadership and necessary support in addressing emerging trends in the National Capitol Region.
Other responsibilities of this position include:
- Directing the preparation of budget estimates and managing expenditures of all departmental funds;
- Reviewing all operational and administrative procedures, developmental policies, and incident reports;
- Engaging in employee relations activities including representing departmental decisions before the Civil Service Commission.
- Maintaining a working relationship with other fire protection agencies within the Washington Metropolitan area, and the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Developing mutual aid agreements and memoranda of agreement with regional and/or federal agencies; and,
- Maintaining and managing a relationship between the Department and the Volunteer Departments as a support segment of the organization.
Fairfax County is proud to offer employees an attractive and comprehensive benefits program, including the following:
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor's degree in fire science, public administration, business administration, or similar field of study, from an accredited college or university. This position requires ten (10) years of paid fire service experience, including two years of paid service as a senior manager in a large municipal fire and rescue department (i.e., as commander of field operations, fire prevention, support services, or administrative services, comparable to Fairfax County's Deputy Fire Chief; or as a second-in-command of a large municipal fire and rescue department, comparable to Fairfax County's Assistant Fire Chief). Senior management experience with emergency medical treatment and transport services is desired. Possession of current certification in the following: EMT-B or higher, Haz-Mat First Responder, CPR, and AED, and a valid driver's license.
For more information, please click here to POLIHIRE's website.
How to Apply: If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to: Fairfax_County_FRD@polihire.com. To assist with internal sorting, please only include your name (Last, First) in the subject line. Please submit your resume in WORD format. The position closes on May 25, 2018.
- Medical/Vision/Dental Insurance Coverage
- Flexible Spending Programs
- Contributory Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Leave (Sick and Vacation)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees' Child Care Center and Fitness Center
- Flexible Schedule and Telework Options
- Transportation Subsidy
- Discount Educational Programs