Academic Specialist - Level (I or II) Based on Experience
Computer Information Systems and Technology Department
The Undergraduate School
Exempt, Regular, Full-time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Academic Specialist for the Computer Information Systems and Technology department in The Undergraduate School. UMUC is one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM).
- Assisting with staffing sections of courses each term
- Conducting class checks for each session as needed
- Communicating with faculty and students as directed by a Program Chair
- Working with departmental administrative staff to evaluate faculty and student issues for further action by the Program Chair or other UMUC staff as appropriate;
- Maintaining established databases and generating standardized and ad hoc reports
- Assisting program chair in personnel matters including hiring and training for new adjunct faculty and faculty promotion
- Performing other job duties as assigned by a Program Chair or Vice Dean
- Bachelor's degree
- Administrative experience
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master's degree
- Three (3) years of experience in higher education in student or faculty services or program management
- Ability to work as part of a team to meet frequent, stringent deadlines for completion of tasks;
- Ability to retrieve information from databases and present it in a format suitable for decision making;
- Ability to work across functional areas,
- Ability to work with representatives of all three university stakeholder groups; faculty, students, and staff;
- Ability to apply judgment to situations in order to escalate when necessary;
- High technology fluency and numerical literacy;
- Strong critical thinking and superlative written and spoken communication skills.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN POSTED UNTIL MAY 7th.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE. OPEN TO HIRING AN ACADEMIC SPECIALIST I OR II.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.