SHEET METAL MECHANIC (AIRCRAFT/PAINTER)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Ability to do the work of a Sheet Metal Mechanic (Aircraft/Painter) without more than normal supervision is the screen-out for this position.
JOB ELEMENT: Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of materials, techniques, practices, and procedures related to sheet metal structural and composite structural tasks.
2. Skill in using and maintaining a variety of metal shop tools, equipment, measuring instruments such as drill presses, rivet guns, punches, spot welders, metal saws, dimplets, and permaswedge tube repair kits.
3. Knowledge of regulations, procedures, and policies related to records maintenance and documentation. Skill in assembling, fabricating, and repairing aircraft structural components, and materials.
4. Knowledge of and ability to apply safety, environmental, material safety data sheets, and security standards, USAF Technical Orders, regulations, and requirements. Ability to inspect and evaluate structural damage to sheet metal and composite systems sufficient to plan and accomplish repairs.
5. Skill in layout and pattern development (including geometric projection and triangulation). Ability to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and technical specifications. Ability to maintain professional, courteous and cooperative interaction with coworkers, sections, and organizations.
6. Skill in fabricating complex items from a variety of materials such as galvanized or stainless steel, aluminum, copper sheet, honeycomb material, and alloys. Ability to communicate and appropriately document work orally and in writing both manually and through computer based access methods.
Work encompasses strenuous physical exertion when bending and shaping the more complex items in handling larger and bulkier material. Requires physical effort which includes prolonged standing on production lines; climbing up and down ladders and scaffolds; working in cramped and awkward positions while installing items; and reaching, lifting,, and bending while using hand and powered tools in uncomfortable positions, for extended periods. Weight lifted seldom exceeds 50 pounds.
Works both inside and outside and is subject to a moderate amount of noise and vibration from shop machines. When working outside is subject to a variety of weather conditions. Subject to cuts, bruises, falls, and burns. Shop areas normally have adequate lighting and ventilation. Required to wear safety glasses when performing eye hazardous operations.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This is an Air Reserve Technician (ART) position. ARTs are eligible for 15 days active duty tour each year for which military leave is granted with full civilian pay. Air Reserve units and members; are subject to immediate call to active duty in mobilization to meet a national emergency. For additional information regarding ART positions and/or military qualifications, please call 1-800-257-1212. Retired military are usually ineligible for membership in the AF Reserve. Retired military that have active AF Reserve assignments may apply provided they show assignment (position) on the application. A military service member's statement of service/certification will be accepted IF a terminal leave form or DD214 cannot be provided. The statement/certification should indicate member's separation from active duty is within 120 days of the closing date of this announcement. It must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin, your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
You MUST have one or more listed eligibilities (click "Learn more about this agency" button above) to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted with each application package to be considered. "Transfer" and "Reinstatement" or equivalent eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 and the SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held if not reflected on most current/separation SF-50. *Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. A complete Application Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number. Read more Security clearance Q - Nonsensitive