Electronics Engineer/Computer Engineer/Computer Scientist (Interdisciplinary)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
For the GS-854 and GS-855 Professional Engineering Series:
Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statistics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Professional registration
- Written Test
- Specified academic courses
- Related curriculum - With this criteria, applicants also need verification of employment from a supervisor stating you have performed professional engineering duties.
For more detailed information on the above criteria, please go to the Qualification Standards
For the GS-1550 Computer Science Series: Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-14) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as experience providing technical leadership of engineering activities, including managing engineering teams in order to address network and application performance issues and initiatives.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience for this grade level.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- This is a Drug Testing position.
- This is an INTERDISCIPLINARY POSITION classifiable in any one of the following classes: Computer Engineer, GS-0854, Electronics Engineer, GS-0855, or Computer Scientist, GS-1550. The nature of the work is such that persons with the appropriate qualifications and skills from any of these career fields may be considered equally well qualified to perform the work. Final classification of the position will be determined by the qualifications of the person selected to fill the position.
- This is an obligated position to which an employee has statutory restoration rights based on active military service, compensable injury or disability when fully recovered, or return rights based on having served an overseas tour(s). When a position is obligated to an employee it means that he/she has an entitlement to that position. During the obligation period, the position may be filled on a temporary or permanent basis. When an obligated position is filled, the selected employee is required to sign an agreement acknowledging that (s)he is aware s)he is aware of the obligation and (s)he may be displaced under reduction in force procedures at a later time.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see www.sss.gov).
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Priority Consideration: If you are a displaced Federal Civil Service employee and attain a rating of at least 90, you may be entitled to receive special priority selection under the ICTAP. For more information on ICTAP, click here ICTAP Guidance. NOTE: If you have never worked for the Federal Government, you are NOT ICTAP eligible.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. We will review your resume and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
- Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Highly Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Best Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
- Electronics Engineering
- Hardware Engineering
- Strategic Thinking
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10183370 Read more Security clearance Top Secret/SCI