Senior Staff Accountant
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for a Senior Staff Accountant to manage the accounts payable process to ensure timely payment of vendor invoices, travel and expense reports, and awards/grants in adherence with established policies and procedures. Position also supports general ledger function, creating and reviewing journal entries, reports and schedules, and performing account reconciliations. The Senior Staff Accountant works closely with Finance staff to streamline internal processes and improve business operations while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
75% Accounts Payable
1. Manage the accounts payable function. Key duties include reviewing payment requests for authorization, support, coding, dues dates, terms and most appropriate method (checks, ACH, wire) for payment for weekly check run.
2. Review wire payment requests and bank information entered in bank portal.
3. Provide guidance, information and assistance to departments on account payable process, policies and reporting.
4. Direct the work of the AP coordinator and other accounting staff who support the AP process. Balance weekly workload. Develop and cross-train team for efficiency and effectiveness.
5. Serve as backup system administrator for PN3.
6. Review quarterly 1099 transactions and year-end 1099 issuance.
7. Ensure timely and accurate AP month-end and year-end close.
25% General Ledger
8. Create journal entries to expense corporate credit card charges, bank and credit card fees allocations, retirement and flexible spending accounts, payroll, credit card receipts, PayPal, postage meters, and building services accruals.
9. Review and reconcile select income, expense and balance sheet accounts.
10. Prepare work papers and schedules to be used in conjunction with the annual and interim audit.
11. Assist in developing and maintaining finance department policies and procedures to adhere to internal control procedures and accounting standards while maintaining efficiency.
12. Perform other duties as requested.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
2. At least 5 years of applicable experience.
3. Experience completing accurate high-volume tasks under tight deadlines.
4. Experience with international payment transactions.
5. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL, Management Reporter and PN3.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Advanced Excel skills.
2. Excellent mathematical skills.
3. Diplomatic and customer service focused.
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to interact with all staff levels.
5. Applies good judgment with problem solving and critical thinking skills, strong work ethic, highly organized, detail oriented, produces accurate work in high volume environment.
6. Internal control mindset with pragmatic approach to application.
7. Demonstrated skills in managing goals through collaboration and teamwork.
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, OSA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.