Pathways Intern (Environmental Protection Specialist)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for the Internship Program.
- Must be enrolled at least half time at a qualifying educational institution* pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate and provide proof of enrollment.
- You must maintain status as a current student while on this appointment.
- Meet the requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Must complete a background investigation.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- Provide all required documents by the closing date.
- Selectee is required to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) to determine suitability for federal employment and to authorize a background investigation.
- Degree must be related to the position.
- WORK SCHEDULE: Intern should be able to work at least 20 hours per week, depending on academic schedule, and preferably full-time during the summer.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide UPDATED transcripts that show any/all degrees conferred, current grades and registration with cumulative GPA to support your educational claims (acceptance letter is also required if applicable to current academic status).
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in community planning; or related field such as urban affairs, architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, sociology, geography, economics, political science, or public administration that included at least 12 semester hours in the planning process, socioeconomic and physical elements of planning, urban and regional economic analysis, and development finance.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. HERE.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the education requirements for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
GS-9: Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education, or a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree.
GS-11: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. This must be fully supported by transcripts that you provide with your application.
*Superior Academic Achievement- In the upper one-third of graduating class; OR a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of 4.0, as recorded on official transcript, or based on courses completed during final 2 years of curriculum; OR a GPA of 3.5 or higher out of 4.0, based on average of required courses completed in major or required courses in major completed during the final 2 years of curriculum.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Group Qualification Standard for Schedule D, Pathways Internship Positions at: HERE.
You must be a student currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited college or university:
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate).
- Maintain good academic standing, generally, at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA for undergraduate programs and a 3.0 GPA for graduate programs, on a 4.0 grading scale.
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Relocation expenses will not be paid
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must sign a Pathways Internship Program Participant Agreement; furnish course registration information at the start of each school term; and provide verification of academic status (transcript) at the end of each academic term
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
If selected, you will be required to sign a Pathways Participant Agreement.
Interns will work full-time during the summer and may work a flexible part-time work schedule during the school year (based on agency needs) while continuing their education.
You will be in a trial period throughout your entire Pathways Internship appointment. If selected by management, you are required to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) to determine your suitability for federal employment and to authorize a background investigation.
This is an Excepted Service appointment. As a part of the Pathways Internship Program, the appointment may be extended until the selectee's educational program requirements have been completed. The student intern may be converted without a break in service to a term (time-limited) or permanent appointment upon graduation, to a position that has a career ladder target up to the GS-12, provided they are a US citizen who has worked at least 640 hours in an appropriate program and receive a favorable recommendation from the supervisor for retention. There is no guarantee of a permanent position following this internship. Selectee is on a trial period while on a Pathways Internship appointment.
Students must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment for the 2017 – 2018 academic year taking at least a half-time course load. Students may be employed throughout the academic year. Additional information can be found at HERE
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once you complete and submit your application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements for the job. Qualified students will be referred to the hiring manager in unranked order by veteran preference status: (1) Preference eligible having a compensable, service-connected disability of 10 percent or more; (2) all other candidates eligible for 10-point veteran preference; (3) candidates eligible for 5- point veteran preference; and (4) candidates not eligible for veteran preference.
You will not be considered for the position if any part of the application or supporting documentation is incomplete. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or adverse action after hiring.
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
To preview questions please click here.