Director of Communications, School of Law
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : $60,000 to $80,000; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Director of Communications, School of Law
The George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School seeks a Director of Communications reporting to the Senior Associate Dean. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Serve as contact point for media/ communications on behalf of the law school, and coordinate with University public information offices on media inquiries and public relations;
- Construct, produce, implement, and manage the overall communications efforts of the law school, monitoring resources and overall effectiveness;
- Manage the law schools brand and image in unison with the Universitys brand and image and provide key messaging and positioning through multi-channel communications. Duties:
- Lead communications at Scalia Law;
- Work with members of Scalia Laws senior leadership team, admissions office team, career services team, alumni relations, development team, administrative faculty, academic leaders, centers and volunteer leaders to implement, create, and manage communications and media relations efforts;
- Work collaboratively with the University communications team and design services, and collaborate with freelance writers, photographers, graphic designers, technical teams, consultants, and others external to the University as appropriate;
- Work with the law schools development team and capital campaign staff to develop, manage, and promote campaign messaging and communications to external and internal audiences;
- Provide support, strategy, and messaging advice for admission, career services, advancement, alumni events and initiatives, including but not limited to: admitted student open houses, biennial Scalia Tribute dinners, alumni weekends, reunions, annual Judicial and Legislative reception, career services, student recruitment and retention events, bar association events, campaign signature events, and Supreme Court activities;
- Manage and produce, in cooperation with the University as necessary, news releases, media inquiries, media statements, talking points, briefing materials, news article, newsletters, and other materials on behalf of the law school for both internal and external audiences.
- Ensure that Scalia Laws emails, publications, website, and other communications are coordinated, cohesive, and on-brand;
- Coordinate internal and external scheduling of communications by the law school;
- Provide data-driven insights into all communications plans and strategies to ensure messaging is resonating with intended audiences;
- Special projects as assigned and other duties as required. Required Qualifications:
- Masters degree in business, marketing, communications, public policy or a related field; or equivalent director-level experience in communications field; or JD
- Demonstrated experience in marketing or communications;
- Ability to think strategically, outside the box, to see broad implications of events, anticipate needs and concerns, and to generate appropriate communications;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Experience managing and executing across several communications media including websites and social network;
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and English grammar
- Leadership experience in overseeing brand management, publications, advertising, social media, and strategic communications;
- Experience with HTML and/ or Wordpress;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite;
- Knowledge of Google Analytics;
- Communications experience in a higher education setting.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA90Ez at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter/ statement of interest, resume or CV, writing sample and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-04-25