SENIOR ENGINEER (TRANSPORTATION)
SENIOR ENGINEER (TRANSPORTATION)
The City of Falls Church Department of Public Works, has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Senior Engineer. The duties of this position will have a heavy emphasis on transportation related tasks dealing with traffic signals, streetlights, paving, signage, and pavement marking. Responsibilities include designing, reviewing, inspecting, and monitoring public construction projects, which includes projects involving streets, sewer lines, storm drains, and other aspect of the City’s infrastructure. Responsibilities also include reviewing residential grading plans and commercial site plans. Activities include writing engineering comments, writing technical specifications and contract documents, preparing field reports, issuing violation notices, participating in meetings, filing and record-keeping, and communicating with contractors/builders/citizens to ensure compliance with standards, specifications, and approved plans. The individual selected for this position will work closely with staff within the Department of Public Works as well as other departments. Excellent organizational skills, the ability to work in field conditions and to communicate well - both orally and in writing - are essential functions of this position.
- Review public and private plans and ensure compliance with local, state and federal guidelines and regulations including but not limited to USEPA; USACE; FHWA; VDOT; VADEQ; VADCR
- Reviews development plans and studies including, but not limited to, traffic impact assessments, subdivisions, public infrastructure improvements, and private commercial development
- Manage contracts related to planning, design, engineering, and construction of capital projects
- Reviews and prepares civil design drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates
- Works with Public Works Operations to plan the installation, repair or modification of signs and pavement marking
- Receive and respond to citizen inquiries and complaints and establishes priorities
- Supports the Citizens Advisory Committee on Transportation (CACT) and attends monthly meeting
- Provide technical presentations in public venues including but not limited to Planning Commission, City Council, Town Hall meetings, and various committee meetings
- Provide on-call emergency response for governmental operations (e.g. traffic signal operations, engineering support)
- Performs related tasks as required
- Degree in civil engineering or related field and registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- At least 5 years’ experience in a responsible position in the transportation engineering field
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, of municipal public works and public utilities administration, planning and design
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyze plans and specifications for construction of public facilities, formulate comprehensive operational policies and procedures, and prepare technical reports
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Traffic and transportation planning/engineering experience
- Project management experience and/or training
- Training and/or experience in low impact development and environmental best practices
- Experience required in plan review, particularly as it relates to site/grade plan review, erosion and sedimentation controls, and storm water management best practices
Salary & Benefits: $67,343+ depending on qualifications. Includes comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, free parking, credit union membership, and more. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information.
To Apply: Submit a resume or application to the City of Falls Church, Human Resources Division, 300 Park Avenue, Falls Church, VA 22046, or via e-mail.
Reasonable Accommodation: During the selection process, applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation with the agreement of the Human Resources Division. Requests should be directed to the Human Resources Division. The City of Falls Church does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for SENIOR ENGINEER (TRANSPORTATION)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly