Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
a) Citizenship. You must be a Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with policy)
b) Certification: You must be certified at the practitioner level in both orthotics and prosthetics by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics (ABC) or the Board for Orthotist/Prosthetist Certification (BOC) as an orthotist, prosthetist, or orthotist/prosthetist. Certification as a technician or fitter does NOT meet this requirement.
1) Ability to manage and supervise prosthetic and orthotic laboratories, conduct site visits, and review the functional level of each lab.
2) Knowledge of ABC, BOC, OSHA, and JC standards and Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service policies and ability to apply these in the daily operations of orthotic and prosthetic laboratories.
3) Ability to provide training in new technologies involving CAD/CAM systems and devices such as computerized foot ortheses, myoelectric prostheses, and energy storing components.
4) Ability to apply knowledge of the theories and principles used in orthotics and prosthetics to teach custom design and fabrication of devices that are innovative, complex, and/or unusual in nature.
5) Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals at all organizational levels including professional staff and administrative staff.
6) Ability to function as a team member or leader with orthotists, prosthetists, and other professionals on committees to review local and national agenda items to make recommendations based on the review.
Preferred Experience: Planning, developing, and implementing a VHA National delivery system for prosthetic and orthotic laboratories appliances and related services.
(1) Knowledge of Current Orthotist/Prosthetist Practices. To be creditable, the experience must have demonstrated the use of knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with current professional orthotic and/or prosthetic professional practice.
(2) Quality of Experience. The experience must be post-degree, from an accredited training program and include work as a professional orthotist/prosthetist directly related to the position to be filled. Experience satisfying this requirement may be paid or non-paid employment. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher level duties must consist of significantly larger scope, administrative independence, complexity (difficulty) and range of variety as described in this standard at the specified grade level and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
(3) Part-Time Experience. Part-time experience as a professional orthotist/prosthetist is creditable according to its relationship to the full-time workweek. For example, an orthotist/prosthetist would receive 1 week of full-time credit for each 2 weeks of half-time work.
b. Titles. For purposes of this qualification standard the reference "orthotist/prosthetist" is intended to mean orthotist, prosthetist, or orthotist/prosthetist.
(1) Orthotist. An allied health professional specifically trained to provide or manage the provision of a custom designed, fabricated, modified, and fitted orthosis based upon independent or consultative clinical assessment of the patient's unique needs and desires, as well as their expectations pursuant to a physician's prescription.
(2) Prosthetist. An allied health professional specifically trained to provide or manage the provision of a custom designed, fabricated, modified, and fitted prosthesis based upon independent or consultative clinical assessment of the patient's unique needs and desires, as well as their expectations and pursuant to a physician's prescription.
(3) Orthotist/Prosthetist. An allied health professional specifically trained to provide or manage the provision of custom designed, fabricated, modified and fitted orthoses and prostheses based upon the independent or consultative clinical assessment of the patient's unique needs and desires, as well as their expectations and pursuant to a physician's prescription.
References: VA Handbook 5005/901
Experience. Completion of 1 year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
Physical Requirements:Work is performed in an office which is adequately lighted and climate controlled.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience. Your application, résumé, C.V., and supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.