General Engineer/Physical Scientist (Deputy Director)
Occasional travel - This position requires travel outside of the duty station 20% of the time.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Additional Conditions of Employment:
-Subject to Random Drug Testing
-Must pass pre-employment drug test
-Favorable suitability determination
-Public Financial Disclosure will be required
-Verification of your identity and employment eligibility under the provisions of Employment Verification (E-Verify)
-Compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) governing personal identity which will require that you provide two forms of identification
-A two year period may be required
0801- Degree: professional engineering. The curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR Combination of education and experience: college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. There are alternate methods to meeting the engineering educational requirement (e.g., holding current professional engineering registration, having passed the EIT examination, or having completed specified academic courses or a related degree). Please refer to the OPM Qualification Standards at Professional Engineering Positions.
1301- A. Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics. Please refer to the OPM Qualification Standards at Physical Science Positions.
Specialized Experience Requirements:
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/band (EN-04/GS-15) in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: applying professional engineering or physical sciences concepts, theories, and practices to manage and evaluate research and development programs related to the nuclear weapons stockpile to include developing strategic planning, programmatic alignments, budget justifications or long range budget estimates for nuclear stockpile programs.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Mastery of and skill in applying, the art of science of a specialty area of an engineering field such as chemical, electrical, mechanical, nuclear, and systems engineering, and/or of a broad range of physical science disciplines, including chemistry, materials science, and physics sufficient to evaluate and pioneer new alternatives, develop new concepts, and plan and evaluate long range manufacturing, research, development, and testing programs and projects.
- Mastery of the principles, concepts, and relevant academic disciplines associated with national security policy, as well as the organizational relationships and mechanisms associated with U.S. national security planning and operations, in order to effectively coordinate a wide variety of nuclear weapons modernization activities associated with the DP field offices and research, development, testing, and production facilities.
- Skill in analyzing program budgetary relationships to relate multiyear projects to the planning, estimation, and modification of multiyear appropriated funding budget estimates for carrying out the Nation’s strategic defense programs.
- Ability to communicate with members of Congress, or their staff, and with high-level officials in the Department of Defense and other federal agencies, state and local governments, industry, and academia.
- Ability to make persuasive presentations on technical topics to potentially skeptical audiences.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EDUCATION: If this vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met, you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application.
Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
- The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: Click HERE.
Veterans Information: Click HERE.
Telework: Click HERE.
Selective Service Registration: Click HERE.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your application to ensure you meet the job requirements. If you meet the qualifications requirements, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated "ineligible" or "not qualified".
To preview questions please click here.