Workforce Availability Specialist
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Services, Human Resources or a related field. In lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree, a High School Diploma or GED and 4 years of human resource policy administration, policy compliance, absence monitoring, FMLA, workers’ compensation and/or other long term absence management procedures within a large organization.
- A minimum five (5) years of experience with human resource policy administration, policy compliance, absence monitoring, disability case management, FMLA, workers’ compensation and/or other long term absence management procedures within a large organization.
- Relevant work experience in the field of concentration.
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Workforce Availability Specialist is responsible for effective administration of policies and procedures related to employee availability. The position focuses on accurately tracking and reporting employee’s absences from work due to illness or injury. This position works with internal stakeholders to determine appropriate case management strategies for employees on long term absences. The incumbent supports policy and program compliance measures at both a department and individual employee level across the organization and ensures that actions taken are consistent with applicable state and federal guidelines and laws such as American with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Workers' Compensation as well as applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA’s).
- Monitors employee and department level compliance with policies and procedures related to absenteeism, Return-to-Work programs and long term absences from work. Tracks and maintains accurate records related to employee excessive absenteeism or prolonged absence from work and maintains accurate, up to date records as new information is received, or as the employees status changes. Obtains updated work status information from internal stakeholders to ensure that all employee absences are properly categorized and tracked. Reviews and maintains confidential and sensitive information related to employee’s status and absence reasons, in order to ensure that all steps taken by management are in line with applicable state and federal guidelines and laws. Investigates employee non-compliance with company policies, rules and procedures that are associated with absence management. Ensure that cases of non-compliance are well documented and works with management to be sure that appropriate disciplinary steps are taken when applicable. Acts as a liaison between support offices, division management and the employees in order to ensure that each functional area has the appropriate level of information regarding an employee’s absences from work (both short and long term). Ensures that documented information is sufficient, timely and complies with the medical standards. Communicates with employees (verbally and in writing) regarding their absence status and projection for returning to work based on their treatment plans. Tracks required follow up efforts made by the employees, to fulfill obligations around absence reporting requirements. Ensures that division management appropriately tracks employee absences and applies the appropriate mitigation and disciplinary steps throughout the absenteeism process when employee demonstrates non-compliance. Completes individualized assessments of employee’s current status and treatment plans to determine prognosis for return to duty. If a return to duty is not likely, coordinates with Occupational Health and Wellness and/or Risk Management to determine next steps. Investigates doctor’s certificates that appear to be fraudulent and recommend disciplinary action to the department managers when relevant.
- Ensures consistent enforcement of policies and procedures across the organization. Identifies potential problem areas and addresses the need for changes with supervisor. Conducts training for current and newly hired supervisors and front line employees on policies related to excessive absenteeism and long term absence procedures. Prepares and presents timely reports on employee availability and long term absence tracking efforts. Works with department Personnel Managers to update employee status information in the Authority’s system of record so that appropriate leave reasons and dates of leave are accurately recorded on employee job records.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.