Canine Training Specialist
Occasional travel - *****
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Completion of a single scope background investigation is required before appointment. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Possess a valid state motor vehicle operator's license and maintain a valid license while you occupy the position.
- Work in a moderate degree of physical exertion which includes lifting 100lbs or more and standing for long periods of time.
- Work in an environment which includes high risks handling various forms of explosive material; handles, transports, secures and accounts for explosives in training explosive detection canines; and must be in continuous possession of explosives while traveling off-site conducting training.
- Work long irregular hours and must be able to withstand unpleasant odors associated with kennel cleaning, loud barking noises, scratches and canine bites.
Selective Placement Factor: In addition to the minimum qualifications described above, you must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered qualified for the position:
- Must possess an instructor certification from an accredited agency, national canine organization or civilian vendor in explosive detection and/or tactical canine patrol. You must submit a copy of your certification by the closing date of this announcement.
- Must possess experience as a canine trainer at a Federal, state, county or local law enforcement agency or military mission.
- Applicant must possess a current valid driver’s license. Please indicate license number, state of license, and expiration date.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Mandatory Suitability Statement:
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, a score will automatically be calculated based on your answers to the vacancy specific questions to place you in one of three categories. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered. If the one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level cannot be identified in your resume, you will be considered not qualified. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Skill in developing training courses regarding canine explosive detection.
- Knowledge of canine psychology and behavioral patterns to accomplish training objectives.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques to accomplish training objectives and to improve the canine team.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret