Payroll Specialist I - Transportation
This is specialized fiscal work in preparing time and attendance (TAA) records.
The employee is responsible for reviewing time reported, recording leave, and validating time and attendance for bus driver and attendant employees. Work includes maintaining time and attendance reports, providing requested information to the Department of Business and Finance, and providing direct oversight for all time and attendance records. Work is completed in a team environment of 3 staff members. At the same time, this position will be independently responsible for maintaining time and leave for assigned areas, while subject to detailed guidelines.
• Process time and attendance data for all bus drivers and attendants using Synovia Time and Attendance Software.
• Review electronic time sheets, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies utilizing automated time and attendance system.
• Verify attendance, hours worked, and time adjustments, and post information onto designated records.
• Input information to a computerized program called Synovia and verify accuracy of data input.
• Report any discrepancies to the Time and Attendance Coordinator.
• Respond to inquiries regarding time worked, overtime management and leave usage, and related matters.
• Perform related work as required.
Graduation from high school and experience in performing accounting and payroll clerical work, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
• Knowledge of payroll processing procedures, and standard office practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Exceptional communication skills both written and oral, as well as human relations skills overall.
• Ability to search for, select, compile, and summarize data to identify discrepancies or inaccuracies.
• Accuracy on entering and calculating numbers, as well as other information is critical.
• Ability to interpret and apply instructions and guidelines to specific situations, to determine work priorities, and to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment, and to work effectively during periods of heavy workloads and tight deadlines.
• Excellent Excel, Word, and computer skills overall.
• Ability to provide guidance and instruction to other clerical personnel.
• Ability to handle delicate payroll matters in a professional manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to touch and hold objects or instruments and to type; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or bend, and may be required to lift up to approximately 25 pounds.
The Payroll Specialist reports to the Transportation Coordinator - Time and Attendance.