Director of Major Gifts
Director of Major Gifts
Office of Institutional Advancement
Regular, Exempt, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 2.3
University of Maryland University College seeks a Director of Major Gifts. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, this position requires an in-depth knowledge of fundraising and cultivation planning. This position will primarily work with individuals, family foundations and organizations, including corporations and larger foundations as needed. Target prospects will be those with capacity to give gifts of $10,000 and above. This position will also assist the Senior Director of Development in developing the marketing programs of focused fundraising initiatives. In addition to outright gifts, this position will solicit for planned gifts as needed, together with the other fundraisers. This position requires local travel using a personal vehicle with mileage and travel expenses reimbursed.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Solicitation of major gifts ($10,000 and up) from individuals including friends, and alumni of the university, in order to provide financial support for funding priorities as identified by leadership. In addition, assist when needed in soliciting corporations and foundations.
- Manage relationships with approximately 100 prospective donors and identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these very important alumni and friends of UMUC.
- Manage a portfolio of primary prospects and monitor prospect activity, with a set number of yearly and monthly solicitations, and engagement activities (i.e. visits, phone calls, proposals etc.) with qualified prospects.
- Under the direction of the Senior Director of Development, serves as the manager of the marketing efforts of major fundraising campaigns as needed. This includes but not limited to the direct mail or virtual campaigns specific to a funding priority, and end-of-the-year solicitations for major donor prospects.
- Under the direction of the Senior Director of Development, manages the marketing program of the UMUC planned giving program.
- Works collaboratively with, and in support of, volunteers, other advancement team members, and other University representatives to cultivate and solicit donors for institution-wide priorities.
- Ensures that all donor records and interactions are well-documented and updated in the donor database.
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships and closing gifts in the six-figure range.
- Travel as needed for optimal cultivation of prospects.
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for donor prospects, including working with volunteers.
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Make the agreed-up number of monthly visits and solicitations to prospects and donors.
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors, adhering to the highest ethical standards. Demonstrate empathetic disposition and perseverance, reflect an optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors
- Work collaboratively with fellow advancement team members
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of demonstrated progressive success in major gift and/or planned giving fundraising, preferably in higher education.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and UMUC.
- Interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting UMUC's fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships with faculty, senior academic leaders, volunteers, and the advancement office team.
- Basic knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Experience in working with a CRM; Salesforce preferred.
- Proven ability and drive to achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
- Track record of building strong donor relationships and closing major gifts.
- Demonstrated ability to participate meaningfully and creatively in goal setting, long- and short-term strategic planning, and problem-solving.
- Excellent oral, written communication, and organizational skills.
- Negotiation, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to establish credibility and confidence with stakeholders and to deal with the public with diplomacy and tact.
- High degree of integrity, initiative, and professionalism as well as sound judgment.
- Self-starter with a resourceful and entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to act decisively.
- Ability and willingness to work outside of standard business hours, including some weekends and evenings, and to travel on occasion.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.