Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position to attend meetings, training or visit other areas of the park.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- Any individual who is currently holding, or has held within the previous 52 weeks, a General Schedule position under non-temporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service, must meet time-in-grade requirements (must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent in the Federal service). Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- You may be required to operate a government motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State or District of Columbia issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State or District of Columbia issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
- Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or
(c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.
Proficiency Requirements: This position uses computer software programs such as: spreadsheets, payroll, travel, etc., and other office equipment such as printers, copiers, fax machines, etc.. The position will type, edit and proofread documents and correspondence for multiple division chiefs in the park. The work of this position requires a qualified typist.
EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS 04 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience includes activities such as: establishing and maintaining files in accordance with established procedures and retention regulations; preparing correspondence and recurring reports; responding to questions from inside and outside of the organization; editing documents, including letters, memorandum and reports checking for grammar, spelling, punctuation and format; making travel arrangements; and maintaining calendars. You must include hours per week worked.
EDUCATION: Successful completion of at least four years above high school education in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite.
Successful completion of a combination of education and experience as described above. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience. You must include transcripts.
In addition to meeting the minimum experience or education requirements, applicants MUST be able to type 40 words per minute. Applicants must show that they meet these requirements by presenting a certificate of proficiency from a school or other organization authorized to issue such certificates by the Office of Personnel Management local office, OR by self-certifying your typing speed. Performance test results and certificates of proficiency are acceptable for 3 years. This Agency may verify proficiency skills of self-certified applicants by administering the appropriate performance test. IF YOU FAIL TO PRESENT A CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY OR SELF-CERTIFY YOUR TYPING SPEED BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT, YOU WILL RECEIVE NO FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Physical Demands: Work is essentially sedentary, but does require some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of light items such as papers and files.
Working Conditions: The work is performed in an office setting.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are not suitable for telework.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Candidates who apply under Competitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are highly qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Best qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
Candidates who apply under Noncompetitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are minimally qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Applies Technology to Tasks
- Customer Service
- Technical Competence