Therapeutic Recreation Specialist III (Park/Recreation Specialist III)
Plans, develops, implements, manages and evaluates a comprehensive program of person-centered therapeutic activities for adults with cognitive and/or physical disabilities in an adult day health care center. Responsible for the hiring, training, management and supervision of the center's merit and part-time staff. Coordinates a volunteer recruitment and training program in partnership with Volunteer Solutions. Provides input into the development of interdisciplinary care plans and activity plans in collaboration with staff, participants, families, community, and volunteers. Performs administrative tasks related to financial management, personnel management, and risk management. Obtains equipment and supplies, and executes program policies, procedures, and program calendars. Supports community outreach by assisting in the development of partnerships with community, non-profit, and faith based organizations. Provides the highest quality of customer service to center participants, their caregivers and the community. This position works under the direction of the Center Nurse Coordinator.Employment Standards MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to the following: graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in recreation and park, therapeutic recreation, horticulture, agriculture, cultural and historic resources or other closely related field as appropriate to the duties of the position; plus three years of experience in park or recreation-related work, as applicable to the position, including one year of supervisory experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid motor vehicle driver's license.
- Cardio-Pulmonary Certification (within the first year of employment).
- First Aid Certification (within the first year of employment).
- Certification as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (within the first year of employment).
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Appointee must complete a criminal background check, a Child Protective Services (CPS) check, an Office of Inspector General (OIG) verification, and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Preferred candidate will have two years experience working on a multidisciplinary team serving older adults with cognitive and physical disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation.
- Certification as a Recreation Specialist or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
- CPR and First Aid Certification.
Employee is required to walk, stand for long periods of time (i.e.: 1 to 2 hours), bend, sit, kneel, reach, climb stairs and participate in recreational therapy, read and write in complete sentences in English. Able to assist with client transfers from sitting to standing and lift up to 30 pounds. Have the ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.