Plan Review Project Manager & Expedited Plan Review Coordinator (Engineer IV)
Fairfax County boasts a top-notch school system, safe neighborhoods, thousands of acres of parkland, and bustling town centers. County government sits at the heart of this dynamic community of 1.1 million residents and seeks employees eager to bring their energy, enthusiasm and skills to serve Fairfax residents and to shape the county's future. Land Development Services (LDS) is the steward of the county's land development and building construction codes and regulations, and its staff members embrace their essential role as "first preventers." Every day, through careful review, permitting and inspection of site and building construction, our staff protects the health, safety, welfare, and environment for those who live in, work in, and visit Fairfax County. Our department also serves as the gateway to much of the county's economic development, reviewing over 26,000 building and site plans, issuing nearly 60,000 building permits, and conducting over 216,000 building and site inspections each year. If you would like to join a creative, collaborative, innovative team doing meaningful work, then LDS is the place for you. For more information on our Building Division, click here.
The Building Division of Fairfax County is currently seeking to fill two positions by highly qualified candidates: Plan Review Project Manager and Expedited Plan Review Coordinator. These are senior level positions requiring complex work to be performed independently under the supervision of the Deputy Director of the Building Division.
Plan Review Project Manager
- Serves as project manager representative to the Operations Division responsible for the advancement of assigned projects through the building plan review and inspection process.
- Serves as lead engineer for the plan review of complex projects with advanced engineering designs in accordance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC).
- Communicates design deficiencies, code requirements and engineering principles to project stakeholders, Project Manager in Director of Operations team and design team.
- Conducts quality control of plans previously reviewed by engineering staff.
- Performs research, provide training, interprets code provisions and offers resolution to design and construction challenges. Complies with established LDS's safety program and guidelines.
- Complies with county, agency and job specific training requirements, including but not limited to emergency management and safety-related courses.
Expedited Plan Review Coordinator
- Administers the Expedited Building Plan Review (EPR) Program as its manager and liaison to the program's Steering Committee.
- Markets the EPR program to prospective peer reviewers and potential clients and explains the advantages to potential users.
- Provides peer reviewer support to ensure high quality reviews which adhere to the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and county standards.
- Performs reviews of complex plans with advanced engineering designs and those submitted under the program. Assigns projects to appropriate staff in consultation with the Deputy Director.
- Performs research, provides training, interprets code provisions and offers resolution to design and construction challenges.
- Ensures program-related projects move smoothly through the county process.
- Conducts pre- and post-submission meetings, coordinates with county-assigned project managers and provides administrative and technical support to peer reviewers.
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; and five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
For the Plan Review Project Manager: Experience in project management including coordination with multiple review agencies and disciplines to navigate projects through the building permitting and inspections process. Demonstrated experience in the review of complex building plans with advanced engineering designs for compliance with the building code VCC/IBC. Knowledge of mechanical, plumbing, electrical codes and construction practices in order to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to guide project stakeholders in the review and inspectors of large/complex commercial buildings.
For the Expedited Plan Review Coordinator: Experience managing, coordinating, and training for a review program and/or building design. Demonstrated experience in the review of complex building plans with advanced engineering designs for compliance with the building code VCC/IBC. Knowledge of mechanical, plumbing, electrical codes and construction practices in order to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to guide and evaluate peer reviewers in the review of large/complex commercial buildings.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Both positions: A driver's license is required. Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license. An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity.
For the Plan Review Project Manager:
Building plans examiner exam by international code council (ICC) or building plan review exam by national certification program for construction code inspectors (NCPCCI) upon hire. Certification by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development as a Commercial Building Plans Examiner and Commercial Building Inspector within 18 months of appointment
For the Expedited Plan Review Coordinator:
At least one of the following certifications upon hire by examination from the International Code Council (ICC) or National Certification Program for Construction Code Inspectors (NCPCCI):
Is required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodation. Ability to operate key-board driven equipment and use large platform monitors to review electronic plans on a sustained basis. Ability to lift plans up to 50 pounds. Ability to perform sedentary tasks. Ability to communicate with customers and attend meetings.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.