Human Resources Assistant
Position: Human Resources Assistant Type of Position: Part-time Permanent
Employer: Senior Service America, Inc. Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Posted: April 7, 2018
Senior Service America Inc. (SSAI) is a non-profit organization that provides civic engagement and employment opportunities for adults over the age of 55 who wish to reenter the workforce. SSAI is a dynamic work environment where its every day efforts help more vulnerable seniors get the help they need. Visit our website at www.seniorserviceamerica.org.
Overview of the Position
This position provides a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience and enhance human resource practitioner competencies in a dynamic and progressive corporate work environment. The Human Resources Assistant reports directly to the Manager, Human Resources.
The incumbent’s work encompasses two areas:
Administrative Support (Approximately 75% of Total Work):
The incumbent performs a wide range of administrative work in support of human resources operations. These administrative duties include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting standard and specialized memoranda and letters for both internal and external customers
- Responding to general HR inquiries
- Maintaining HR hard copy and automated file systems
- Preparing/assembling recruitment packets
- Disseminating forms
- Posting HR notices/bulletins
Human Resources Assistance (Approximately 25% of Total Work):
The incumbent performs or assists the Manager, Human Resources in performing traditional HR duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Developing job descriptions
- Preparing job vacancy announcements
- Reviewing/screening applications
- Interviewing job candidates
- Conducting background security investigations
- Providing information, guidance and assistance to employees on pay, benefits, and other employment matters
- Advising employees and managers on a wide range of human resource management issues/problems
- Interacting with Union officials
- Scheduling training
- Performing special projects/assignments
Work Experience -
The successful applicant will possess a minimum of five years of progressively responsible work experience with aging, employment and training, or community service programs, including managing a network of organizations or departments to achieve measurable program objectives within a specific budget and timetable. Prior experience working with disadvantaged communities and individuals (especially older adults) a plus.
Academic Experience –
- Four-year college degree in Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations, Business Administration, Psychology or related field and
- Two years of related work experience (non-profit work environment a plus) or
- Combination of related education and experience
- PHR/SHRM Certification desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities -
- Familiarity with human resource management principles, practices and employment laws
- Ability to balance competing demands and meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively interact with diverse groups
- Ability to perform research and analysis
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Teams and ADP database management
Benefits and Compensation
SSAI offers a competitive salary and exceptional benefits package, including a Defined Benefit Retirement Plan (three-year vesting period), up to 5.25% employer matching contribution to a 401k plan, vacation and sick leave, subsidized parking or Smartrip.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward their resume, salary requirements and verifiable references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Human Resources, Senior Service America, Inc. 8403 Colesville Road, Suite 200, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910.
*Incomplete packages will not receive further consideration.
Human Resources, Senior Service America, Inc.
8403 Colesville Road, Suite 200 ¡ Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
Senior Service America, Inc., is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.