Horticulturist ( Pathways Recent Graduates)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Program Requirements: You must have obtained a qualifying Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Professional, Doctorate, Vocational or Technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous 2 years. Veterans (precluded from applying due to military service) must be appointed within 6 years of receiving their degree or certificate.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
- Degree: horticulture; or a related discipline of basic plant science that included at least 30 semester hours in the basic plant sciences, of which at least 16 semester hours were in horticultural subjects such as those dealing with the breeding, care, management, production, and post harvest handling of horticultural crops.
- Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in horticulture or a related discipline of basic plant science that included course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
The 16-semester-hour requirement in horticulture includes course work in basic horticulture and course work related to any of the recognized subject-matter fields of horticulture, i.e., fruits, vegetables, ornamentals, nursery work, seed production, or course work in related areas of science, such as micro-biology, entomology, plant pathology, plant physiology, or genetics that is directly related to horticultural work.
Applicants who meet the basic requirements described in the individual occupational requirements are fully qualified for the specified entry grade (generally grade GS-5).
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
PROGRAM COMPLETION AND CONVERSION ELIGIBILITY:
Program participants MAY be converted (without a break in service) to a term, career, or career conditional appointment upon completion of program requirements.
To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must:
• Complete one continuous year of work experience acquired through a Recent Graduate Program.
• Complete 40 hours of formal interactive training.
• Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
• Meet any agency-specific requirements specified in the Participant Agreement.
• Demonstrate successful job performance that results in a rating of record of at least Fully Successful and a recommendation for conversion by the first-level supervisor.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of theories, methods and principles of horticulture science or related basic plant science.
- Ability to design seasonal plantings and manage concurrently several unique landscaped gardens and large expanses of turf that incur high public visitation and are used for special events, public education, or public relations activities.
- Ability to operate and maintain power equipment such as tractors, blowers, tillers, mowers, sprayers, and automated irrigation systems.
- Ability to communicate verbally to meet and deal with different audiences and to present educational programs and tours to the public.
Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above.
Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position.
Important Note: The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation