Consumer Safety Officer
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment:
U.S. Citizenship is required for Federal employment.
Time-in-Grade must be met by announcement close to be considered eligible.
Only experience gained by the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
Must include transcript; may include most recent performance appraisal or evaluation, licensure, or certification requirements or any other applicable requirements of the position.
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: N
- Drug testing required: N
- License required: Y, Valid state issued driver's license
- Mobility agreement required: N
- Immunization required: N
- Bargaining Unit Position: Y, NTEU
- Incentives are not authorized
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement, 04/19/2018. In order to qualify for Consumer Safety Officer, 0696, at GS - 13, you must meet Time-in-Grade requirements by 04/19/2018.
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Who May Apply: This is an internal agency vacancy which is open to:
-FDA employees on a career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service;
-PHS/FDA Commissioned Corps Officers; or
-Displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)
PHS FDA Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred to (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
You must verify that you are a current FDA employee or PHS FDA Commissioned Officer, therefore, your most recent SF-50 will be required.
You must possess the basic requirements identified below to be considered eligible for the position. Transcripts must be provided with the application to validate that coursework requirements are met. Failure to submit all transcripts will be considered an incomplete application.
The education must have been obtained at a college, university, or an accrediting body recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements.
A - A bachelor's or graduate/higher level degree in quality assurance or a related degree that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: consumer laws, biological sciences, food science, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, legal investigations, law enforcement, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours may include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming.
B - Combination of education and experience--courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in paragraph A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
I do not possess the experience and/or education described above in A or B
In addition to meeting the basic requirements for the Consumer Safety Officer, GS-0696-13; you must meet the following specialized experience :
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service that demonstrates your ability and is directly related to the position to be filled which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the Consumer Safety Officer including experience in enabling legislation, policies, implementing regulations and procedures, organizational structures, and interrelationships of compliance organization; selecting, adapting, and applying investigative methods and negotiating techniques; possessing knowledge of a variety of various scientific and technical disciplines necessary to carry out task related to the compliance of FDA regulations.
There is no education substitution at the GS-13 level.
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 04/19/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointees FAQ - OPM
- Selective Service Registration: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. You can learn more by visiting the Selective Service Registration site.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 04/19/2018), a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position.
If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Merit Promotion Procedures for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of two categories: Best Qualified or Qualified.
Your qualification will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Competencies/KSA's.
- Technical competence - Understands and appropriately applies procedures, requirements, regulations and policies related to specialized expertise, e.g., engineering, physical science, law, or accounting; maintains credibility with others on technical issues.
- Legal, government and jurisprudence - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, legal practices and documents, Government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, Government organization and functions, and the democratic political process.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; distinguishes between relevant and irrelevant information to make logical decisions; provides solutions to individual and organizational problems.
- Written communication - Expresses facts and ideas in writing in a succinct and organized manner.
- Oral Communication - Expresses ideas and facts to individuals or groups effectively; makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others; facilitates an open exchange of ideas.
https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10133995 Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation