The Northern Virginia Conservation Trust (NVCT) is seeking a creative and energetic Communications Coordinator to expand our social media presence, manage our website, develop reporter relationships, and handle press for organizational events. NVCT is a growing regional land trust that conserves parks, open space and nature throughout northern Virginia. The organization is well positioned to become the region’s leader in creating an interconnected system of green spaces, with a goal that all urban and suburban residents of Northern Virginia will live close to and have access to parks, trails, or protected natural areas.
General Position Description:
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for all external communications about and on behalf of NVCT. Responsibilities include leading and organizing the production of our Annual Report, emailing newsletters to our membership, creating innovative web and social media content, and developing press releases. The Coordinator will work with the Executive Director, NVCT staff, and members of the Board to seek and capitalize on opportunities to present NVCT in a positive and forward-moving light with particular focus on funders, partners, and general public. The Coordinator will also be responsible for supporting public appearance opportunities, including attending many functions and activities that the organization is involved in.
Coordinate the development of communications and public relations materials, including press releases, media appearances, publications, newsletter, website, social media, and organizational branding. This includes:
- Creating and publishing web and social media that grows NVCT’s digital footprint
- Building content and working with graphic designers on our newsletters, annual report, fundraising appeals, event invitations, and other materials
- Updating and creating key organizational fact sheets and brochures
- Encouraging and fostering an internal office culture that has program staff delivering updates and content regularly
- Reporting on NVCT events, tours, and programs for members, major donors, and the general public.
- Collecting and selecting photographic material to support communication efforts.
- Stay current with local, regional and national land trust topics and issues.
- Coordinating with an active and engaged Board of Directors as needed.
- Stay current with Land Trust Alliance Accreditation requirements, particularly for Outreach, Education, and Resource Development issues.
- Participate in general NVCT policy and procedure review and development.
- Assist with grant writing as opportunities are presented.
Help manage an annual event and outreach schedule to assure an effective organizational presence across Northern Virginia.
- Be a resource to land conservation and stewardship staff for both written and presentation materials.
- Be a resource to the Fund Development Coordinator for both written and presentation materials.
- Develop materials for exhibition displays and other public events
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5 years or more marketing and communications experience within an organization.
- Significant social media content management experience, including with metrics.
- Strong writing ability, especially on deadline.
- Experienced user of Microsoft office suite.
- Graphic design and other production software experience recommended.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Passion for land conservation and a willingness to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Flexible self-starter, interested in learning and understanding all aspects of land trust work.
- Boldness to start new initiatives, expand existing programs, and work in a project team setting.
- Outgoing, professional and friendly personality with the ease to meet new people and quickly earn their confidence.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or master’s degree in communications, marketing, English or a related area preferred.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Office-based work with frequent automobile travel within jurisdiction.
- Some evening and weekend work expected.
- Must be able to drive a car and walk over rough terrain as needed.
- Office is on the second floor of a building without elevators. Must be able to go up and down stairs carrying materials to and from meetings.
Submit resume and cover letter by Friday, April 27, 2018, 5 p.m., to the Executive Director
email email@example.com or mail: 4022-A Hummer Road, Annandale, VA 22003
No phone calls, please.