Editor, Publishing Services
Position Summary: The Editor primarily handles the development, review, and release of assigned print and electronic publishing projects and has significant copy editing and proofreading responsibilities. Reporting to the Director of Publishing Services, this position does not supervise other staff directly. Collaboration and coordination with Communications staff and other departments in the NAFSA office is required.
This position also works extensively with NAFSA members, and has some contact with outside vendors. The incumbent should possess superior communication, project management and decisionmaking skills. The Editor needs to be well organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and able to effectively manage multiple projects on time and within budget.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Provides project management and editorial support for books, eBooks, digital downloads, booklets, posters, CDs, and other print and electronic resources as assigned by the Director, Publishing Services
- Manages the editorial development of assigned books, digital downloads, and resources (print and electronic) in collaboration with member editors and contributors, and occasionally with paid freelance writers and editors. Develops publication schedules and manages the process to keep work on time and on budget.
- Provides editing (for grammar, syntax, spelling, NAFSA editorial style and standards, clarity, and page layout) for these projects. If applicable, the Editor Project Manager oversees the work of the freelance editor to maintain schedule, budget, and quality.
- Drafts editorial agreements for each project for all volunteer or paid contributors and/or editors and maintains files on these project agreements.
- Assists the department in working with and coordinating the efforts of knowledge community (KC) staff members involved in the content development of print and electronic resources. Maintains open and frequent communication with KC staff members and member leaders
- Works directly with NAFSA’s Marketing and Creative Services team to develop an appropriate design and layout for each project. Does photo research to identify appropriate photos to use for different projects. Works with the graphic designer through all rounds of the proofing process to ensure a high-quality project.
- Responsible for keeping assigned projects on or under budget.
Provides editorial support for NAFSA e-newsletters
- Provides editing or revised copy for e-newsletters.
- Occasionally writes copy for stories carried on e-newsletters.
- Serves as the primary backup for the Associate Editor for compiling, formatting, reviewing, and distributing the weekly NAFSA.news e-newsletter. Updates the dashboard statistics spreadsheet when the Associate Editor is unavailable.
Provides editing services for annual conference materials, blog posts, web pages, and quarterly and annual NAFSA electronic publications
- Edits for grammar, syntax, spelling, NAFSA editorial style and standards, etc., as assigned.
- Works with Web Communications team to coordinate the release of these products. Provides quality checks regarding links and formatting of related web pages.
Assists in marketing efforts for NAFSA publications
- Writes and edits promotional copy for the web, e-newsletters, and social media.
- Coordinates the biannual publications catalog, including editing copy and working with the Marketing and Creative Services team on the design and layout.
- Works with the Marketing and Creative Services team to design advertisements for use in the publications catalog and on site at the annual conference.
Manages editorial projects that require the supervision of staff’s work
- Delegates responsibilities as needed to ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner and are cost-effective.
- Works with staff and outside vendors on the delivery of time-sensitive products.
- Manages the NAFSA Style Guide and updates it on a regular basis to comply with the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Assists the department in creating and updating NAFSA Publication Guidelines for author and/or editor use.
Assists the department in the implementation of several technology-based initiatives
- Works with outside vendor on the review and release of all eBook products. Provides quality checks for functionality and compatibility.
- Researches vendors and programs for the digital license subscription project.
Assists the department at the NAFSA Bookstore during the annual conference
- Provides staff support during the planning, implementation, and follow-up processes.
- Delivers customer service to conference attendees and offers guidance in the selection of appropriate publication resources.
- Helps manage the crowd at author signing events.
Undertakes other responsibilities and tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or other relevant field; or commensurate experience
- At least three years of project management responsibility in a publications/communications department or similar environment
- Strong editorial skills (writing, editing, proofreading), as well as an eye for graphic design
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, or other content management systems
- Ability to track multiple, competing projects
- A firm grasp of style rules, including the Chicago Manual of Style, in addition to experience using an in-house style guide
- Experience working on projects with association or nonprofit volunteer leaders
- Work experience in higher education
- International experience/involvement
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel and weekend work is required occasionally. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.