Administrative & Office Specialist III
5 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
The George Mason University Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME), within the Volgenau School of Engineering, seeks a proactive, organized, and self-reliant Administrative Specialist to provide both administrative and academic support for the Department Chair, faculty, and student body. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Department Chair, this position is responsible for the daily coordination and execution of administrative and program support operations to ensure the service needs for both faculty and students are met. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative support to Department Chair, full-time and part-time faculty;
- Provides general office management (i.e., budget, technology, scheduling, ordering office supplies/equipment);
- Schedules meetings and manages program events (departmental events, faculty meetings, orientations, information sessions, receptions);
- Works with other university administrative offices to schedule courses, room assignments, publication of course schedules;
- Works with the Director of Undergraduate Programs to collect and coordinate program assessment data;
- Plans, oversees, and executes departmental events; such as Senior Capstone Day, GMU-NOVA Dual Admissions COMPACT, annual Engineers Week, etc.;
- Participates in creating and writing the annual department report, developing literature and other publication information needed for public dissemination and promotion of the program;
- Initiates faculty travel authorizations and reimbursements to ensure forms are routed and approved in accordance with university policies;
- Coordinates the hiring of adjunct instructors, graduate assistants, wage employees, and affiliates;
- Maintains student files and records consisting of official and confidential information;
- In coordination with the Chair, manages the department budget and financial resources; to include monitoring the budget, reconciles department accounts, and resolves related budget issues. Required Qualifications:
- Must effectively handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and meet deadlines, often under pressure, while maintaining flexibility regarding changes in priorities;
- Ability to receive, follow, and adhere to instructions;
- Openness to constructive feedback;
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), customer service skills, diplomacy skills, and the ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Self-motivated and ability to multitask and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and e-mail applications;
- Willingness to learn new electronic systems for admissions, scheduling, workflow, accounting, travel, room booking, etc.;
- Accounting experience with interpretation of expenditures in accounts payable and receivable;
- Ability to maintain and build positive relationships with Mason faculty and staff, students, the general public, and external audiences;
- Ability to wisely handle situations that involve conflict;
- Professional demeanor. Preferred Qualifications:
- Completion of advance course work past the Bachelorâ€™s degree;
- Ability to prepare professional, effective and grammatically correct written communications;
- Knowledge of business processes;
- Knowledge of university procedures, policies, and regulations;
- Knowledge of P-card process and management;
- Knowledge of ABET program assessment;
- Demonstrated motivation to succeed and achieve results and;
- Ability to work both independently, and within a team.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must complete the online application at https://jobs.gmu.edu for position 02790z; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :