Term Assistant Professor, Geology
Job Category : Instructional or Research Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Term Assistant Professor, Geology
The George Mason University Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Earth Sciences (AOES) in the College of Science invites applications for a full-time, Term Assistant Professor position in Stratigraphy and Earth History. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Beginning in August 2018, this position includes teaching responsibilities for lecture and laboratory courses within the Geology program. Teaching will be at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including introductory geology, quantitative stratigraphy, and other areas of expertise. Service activities within the department and college are also expected.
- Completion of a Ph.D. in earth science, geology, or a related field prior to the first day of the appointment and share the departments commitment to interdisciplinary education;
- Experience teaching lecture and laboratory courses, at both the graduate and undergraduate level, as well as graduate seminars. Preferred Qualifications:
- The ability to communicate scientific knowledge to a range of stakeholders and additional experience in earth science policy;
- The ability to collaborate with other natural scientists and social scientists in teaching and outreach;
- Knowledge of higher education and student services; and
- Candidates with interests in interdisciplinary collaborations and field-based research are particularly desirable. We encourage the successful candidate to forge research ties with other parts of the George Mason community, the U.S. Geological Survey, Carnegie Institute of Science, and the Smithsonian Institution.
About Us: The Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Earth Sciences Department offers undergraduate degrees in Geology and Earth Science, an M.S. degree in Earth Systems Science, and a Ph.D. in Climate Dynamics. Our faculty includes geologists, atmospheric scientists, paleontologists, and oceanographers.
For more information about the department visit us on the web at https://cos.gmu.edu/aoes/.
For more information about the College of Science, go to https://cos.gmu.edu.
Special Instructions : For consideration, applicants must apply online at jobs.gmu.edu for Position 9723z. Candidates should submit a CV, cover letter including statement teaching interests, examples of published work, teaching evaluations (if available), and contact information (with e-mail addresses) of three professional references. Review of applications will begin on May 2, 2018.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-05-02