Assistant Vehicle Engineer
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or a related engineering field.
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, a High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of four (4) years of experience working in an electromechanical industrial environment may be considered.
- No work experience required with Bachelor’s degree in fields listed above.
- Roadway Worker Protection Level Four certification (after hire).
- Experience in design, test, maintenance and/or troubleshooting of transit rail vehicles/Maintenance of Way Equipment (or sub-systems) is preferred.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Assistant Vehicle Engineer is an entry level engineering position that provides technical assistance to professional engineers who are leading one or more complex projects. The incumbent is expected to become familiar with the design and operation of transit rail passenger vehicles, vehicle systems, subsystems and support equipment. The incumbent will support a wide array of maintenance and engineering activities that include testing of new rail cars, their systems and subsystems during a commissioning process.
- Tests vehicles using various test and data acquisition equipment to evaluate operational performance parameters.
- Evaluates the performance of transit rail car and maintenance vehicle systems, subsystems and components to determine the nature and cause of problems that develop in their operation.
- Investigates technical issues and provides support for the creation of technical studies & reports related to maintenance and testing requirements of rail car systems/maintenance of way (MOW) equipment and subsystems.
- Responds to incidents, conducts incident investigations and writes formal reports of findings.
- Supports operational testing of rapid transit car systems and subsystems in coordination with maintenance or engineering personnel.
- Performs engineering and technical evaluation of new vehicles/track equipment and newly installed, modified, or existing equipment to ensure conformity with WMATA’s installation, performance and maintenance standards.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance to car maintenance/MOW equipment personnel.
- Provides technical assistance to training personnel on the development of instructional programs to help ensure the required skill levels of staff who maintain new and redesigned systems.
- Performs duties of the Roadway Worker-In-Charge as assigned in support of rail vehicle track testing.
- Represents WMATA at meetings with consultants and contractors as required.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.