Faculty Specialist - Nutrient Management Specialist
The Nutrient Management Specialist will work with the Agricultural Nutrient Management Program (ANMP), a unit of the Department of Environmental Science and Technology, to provide educational opportunities and technical support for certified nutrient management consultants statewide. This position reports to the Program Coordinator.
- Review nutrient management plans written by Extension Nutrient Management Advisors.
- Provide technical support for certified nutrient management consultants (public and private-sector) and certified farmer operators in nutrient management plan development and related activities.
- Participate on a team, both as an educator and as a developer of training materials in the areas of nutrient management planning and soil fertility management.
- Represent the University of Maryland College Park, Department of Environmental Science and Technology, and Maryland Cooperative Extension.
- Produce timely activity reports as directed by the Program Coordinator.
- Bachelor's degree in agronomy, crop science, soil science or closely related field
- Working knowledge of agriculture and farming issues
- Demonstrated teaching abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Competency in the use of computer technology for educational programming and information management (WORD, PowerPoint, EXCEL. GIS)
- Flexible working hours required; must be available for occasional evening programs
- A valid driver's license and access to an automobile for travel
- Master's Degree in agronomy, crop science or soil science or closely related field
- Experience in agricultural planning
- Certification as a Maryland nutrient management consultant
- Experience with distance education technology (such as CANVAS or Blackboard) and pedagogy
Physical Demands -
- A routine part of this position’s responsibilities would be to transport materials to and from teaching events and workshops, including loading and unloading vehicles. The employee will frequently lift and or/move items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Environmental: This position occasionally requires employee to work outdoors for experiential learning experiences.