Editing Desk Manager, BGOV
Redefine How Washington Works
When government is at its best, diverse ideas are at work. The same is true of Bloomberg Government. Our ability to innovate and serve our clients means diversity and inclusion are essential. If you’re eager to join a multi-dimensional team that celebrates and leverages difference, if you have the vision to see how information can transform “business as usual” and if you are hungry to create-to build a service transforming how things get done—then stop reading this and join our team.
Who Thrives Here?
Individuals who embrace hard work, act with urgency and collaborate without reserve thrive at Bloomberg Government. You are on the front lines of revolutionizing the information services industry in Washington-as high as our expectations will be of you, yours must be higher. If you are dogged, innovative and interested in work that contributes to causes greater than yourself, you belong at Bloomberg Government.
Bloomberg BNA also provides legal, tax and compliance professionals with critical information, practical guidance and workflow solutions. We leverage leading technology and a global network of experts to deliver a unique combination of news and authoritative analysis, comprehensive research solutions, innovative practice tools, and proprietary business data and analytics. Bloomberg BNA is an affiliate of Bloomberg L.P., the global business, financial information and news leader.
Bloomberg Government provides congressional, regulatory and legal news to government affairs and government relations professionals. We are seeking a Editing Desk Manager, BGOV to manage the news desk team that edits news stories, features, and other material written by staff and outside authors for the company’s publications; shape and coordinate coverage; and guide and advise staff members in their research and reporting.
Editing Desk Managers at this classification may perform or assist the Deputy News Director to perform any or all of the following:
- Supervise and help news desk team to copy edit news stories, features, breaking news alerts, and/or other material for content, style and digital functionality, to ensure that quality standards of assigned publication(s) are met.
- Ensure deadlines are met.
- Oversee and help report, research, and write news stories and features for assigned desk.
- Help Deputy News Director to make assignments to staff members.
- Shape and coordinate coverage within unit, with other BNA units, and with Bloomberg.
- Guide and advice staff members in their research, reporting, writing, and editing to strengthen their contributions to assigned publication(s).
- Maintain subject area knowledge related to unit's publication(s), including current awareness of issues and developments in the field.
- Serve as subject matter expert and resource for others contributing to same or related publications.
- Propose and coordinate special reports and Insights articles.
- Oversee and participate in production of unit's publication(s); ensure that copy and production deadlines are met.
- Verify information related to unit's publication(s) through sources or other means.
- Assume responsibility for unit's editorial operations in the absence of the Deputy News Director.
- Stay abreast of and effectively uses electronic resources and other tools to perform the job effectively.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
5+ years’ experience in journalism or legal or business publishing, including reporting, writing, and substantive copy editing of complex material; a minimum of 1 year managerial experience or demonstrated leadership experience; proven judgment under deadline pressure; proven ability to edit material (including complex and/or analytical pieces) under deadline pressure; excellent writing, reporting, researching, editing, and copy editing skills; proven ability to lead editing process on special reports or other substantial publishing projects; mastery of subject area(s) covered by assigned publications; thorough knowledge of BBNA style rules; proven ability to lead other staff members to develop their journalistic skills and help strengthen their contributions to the unit’s publications; thorough knowledge of journalistic principles and techniques; thorough knowledge of legislative, regulatory, and judicial processes; ability to use electronic research methods effectively; ability to use BBNA publishing tools and other technology effectively with BBNA training; excellent interpersonal skills to deal with customers, staff, and other contacts inside and outside Bloomberg BNA; strong organizational and project management skills, including ability to use project resources and staff effectively within established schedules, budgets, and other guidelines; proficiency in MS Office; excellent proofreading skills.Bachelor’s degree with coursework in English, journalism, or subjects related to assigned publications desirable. Specialized education (such as J.D .or graduate degree) preferred for some publications.Specialized education related to assigned publication(s) may be considered in lieu of some experience.
Apply for Editing Desk Manager, BGOV
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly