The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is seeking a Communications Associate to support the development of social media, media relations, advertising, and other communications materials and activities. This position also manages communications activities and drafts communications materials related to Kick Butts Day (annual day of youth activism), assists in monitoring and responding to tobacco industry activities, and is responsible for the administrative functions of the Communications Department. This is an excellent opportunity for an enterprising junior communications professional to develop skills and gain a wide range of experience.
- Manage daily postings on social media channels and help develop content and strategies for social media.
- Draft media relations materials, including press releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, editorial board memos and talking points.
- Field and make media calls.
- Compile and maintain media lists.
- Help coordinate development of advertising and direct mail; maintain advertising and direct mail archives.
- Manage communications activities related to Kick Butts Day, including managing work of public relations and broadcast services firms, developing and placing advertising, drafting and distributing press releases and other media materials, and coordinating development of broadcast materials such as TV/radio media tour.
- Help organize press conferences, briefings and other events.
- Assist in monitoring and responding to tobacco industry activities, including tracking tobacco advertising in magazines.
- Supervise Communications Department interns, including hiring of interns and assignment of projects.
- Compile news clips.
- Handle administrative functions of Communications Department, including processing invoices and arranging travel and meetings for department staff.
- Maintain photo, audio and video libraries.
- Respond to requests for videos and other communications materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum one year of relevant communications experience.
- Excellent writing, editing and project management skills.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines and work collaboratively in fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with relevant computer software applications, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Graphic design or video production skills a plus.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position code: CA-05 in the subject line of your e-mail. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids fights to protect children and save lives from the #1 cause of preventable death: tobacco use. We are the leading advocacy organization working to reduce tobacco use and its deadly consequences in the United States and around the world. Through strategic communications and policy advocacy campaigns, we promote the adoption of proven solutions that are most effective at reducing tobacco use and save the most lives. Our vision is a future free of the death and disease caused by tobacco – because tobacco has killed enough.