Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Anticipated starting salary is $47,476
Web Announcement :
Global Health & Safety Specialist
George Mason University Mason Study Abroad invites applications for an Global Health & Safety Specialist. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Global Health & Safety Specialist is responsible for developing and managing a travel preparedness and response strategy to promote and protect the well-being of the organization/institution and its students, faculty, and staff engaged in education abroad and student international travel for University-related purposes. The Global Health and Safety Specialist will develop best practices on health, safety, and security management while abroad; consult expert resources; and advise the leadership and staff of the Global Education Office, University Travel Advisory Committee, students, and education abroad program faculty and staff. As part of the advisory role the Global Health & Safety Specialist will be responsible for pre-departure orientation and training of lead faculty. The Global Health and Safety Specialist will also serve as the Global Education Office contact for emergencies related to students participating in study abroad opportunities at the University. The Global Health and Safety Specialist must be available 24/7, except during periods agreed upon in advance, in order to respond to emergency situations as they arise and may be required to report to the university during authorized University closures.
- B.S. or B.A., or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated record of sound judgment and decision-making abilities as reflected in the ability to remain calm in crisis situations, handle matters confidentially, and exercise discretion with sensitive topics
- Knowledge of international education professional standards and best practices with regards to health, safety, and security
- Knowledge of expert resources commonly consulted with regards to health, safety, and security in international education
- Strong social/interpersonal skills including facility for interaction in multicultural and cross-cultural contexts, the ability to work with and lead groups
- Experience identifying, mitigating, and managing health, safety, and security risks overseas and in the U.S.
- Experience planning, managing, and evaluating crisis response
- Experience living and working in another language, culture, or country
- Knowledge of key regulatory bodies, policies, and protocols, e.g., the Clery Act, VAWA and Title IX
- Demonstrated ability to work with students, faculty, staff, and overseas partners and demonstrated ability to build relationships across functional areas
- Experience working with a range of domestic and international organizations, e.g., higher education institutions, government agencies, NGOs, third party providers, and private sector companies
- Demonstrated knowledge of international affairs
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Excel and Word;
- Demonstrated administrative or project management skills;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented;
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks;
- Excellent written and verbal skills; Preferred Qualifications:
- Masterâ€™s degree in international studies, international affairs, education, business, economics, politics, foreign language, or a related field;
- Administrative experience in an institute of higher education;
- Experience with student advisement;
- Cross-cultural skills and an ability to work with people of different cultures; and
- Experience supervising staff.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02725Z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :