ACADEMIC SPECIALIST (WRITING INSTRUCTOR)
Occasional travel - Up to 15% of the time
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Critical Sensitive position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security determination to occupy a Non-Critical Sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment.To qualify for this position, you must:
- Possess a Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education (or international equivalent) in English, writing, or other appropriate discipline such as educational technology, public administration, program evaluation, or higher education.
- Have three years minimum demonstrated experience developing curriculum and teaching English to international students and/or non-native speakers of English (including adult learners) at a regionally accredited higher education institution.
- Have exceptional skill in writing and oral communications to develop and convey assessments and recommendations to the Director and other senior leaders.
- Have ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships across the university; ability to work with faculty, staff, students, and senior leaders.
- Have an understanding of instructional methods to include student assessment and modern, technology related teaching techniques.
- Be an expert in use of online tools such as Gramarly and SafeAssign.
- Be familiar with publishing software.
- Possesses a Ph.D. from a regionally accredited institution of higher education (or international equivalent in English, writing, or other appropriate discipline.
- Proficiency with one or more foreign languages preferred.
- At least one year experience working abroad preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the principles of writing across the curriculum and interdisciplinary writing preferred.
NDU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. NDU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions You must attach a separate document with answers to the questions listed below. The following questions will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel.
- Writing Instruction: Describe your experience as a proven, successful writing instructor at the college level. Please discuss your ability to teach an academic research and writing elective course for international university students, especially with adult learners for whom English is a second language..
- Curriculum Development: Describe your experience developing and updating course content and instructional materials in accordance with best practices, new developments, and applications within the fields of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Advising & Tutoring: Describe your experience providing support services to students such as academic advising and individualized tutoring. Please indicate the number of years of experience, approximate amount of students advised, as well as course and college level.
- Collegiality & Faculty Collaboration: Describe your experience collaborating with faculty and ability to contribute to a culture of collegiality as a part of a team. Responses should include your direct level of involvement and experience interacting with mid- or high-level academic, government, or industry officials as well as experience coordinating activities between academic, government, or industry organizations which resulted in a team establishing and accomplishing objectives, tasks and projects.
- Instructional Methods: Describe your understanding of instructional methods to include student assessment, modern technology-related techniques and demonstrated knowledge with the principles of writing across the curriculum and interdisciplinary writing. Please discuss experiences using online tools such as Grammarly and SafeAssign and familiarity with publishing software.