Staff Fellow (Mathematical Statistician)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Degree including 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics. Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement.
RG-1529-00 (equivalent to GS-12)
One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service. Experience includes performing statistical analyses on biological or biomedical research problems, conducting reviews, evaluating statistical methods, procedures, and concepts involved with biological or biomedical applications and advising or commenting on the adequacy of statistical research plans, protocols, methodologies, data analyses and interpretation of results.
RG-1529-00 (equivalent to GS13) One year equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service. Experience includes performing statistical analyses on biological or biomedical research problems, conducting reviews, evaluating statistical methods, procedures, and concepts involved with biological or biomedical applications and advising on the adequacy of statistical research plans, protocols, methodologies, data analyses and interpretation of results.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
Additional Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: This position requires a Secret Security Clearance. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication of a Secret Clearance. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualification is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal.
- Political Appointees: If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 01/19/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointees FAQ - OPM.
- E-Verify: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system.
- Outside activity restrictions apply: Requests for approval of outside activities may be required prior to participation n certain outside activities and outside employment. Employees designated public or confidential filers may not have outside activity, unpaid or paid, with FDA significantly regulated organizations.
- Relocation and travel expense reimbursement: No
- Position supervisory status: Non-supervisory
- Bargaining United status: Yes
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: recruitment incentive; superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Financial disclosure statement, OGE-450, required: Yes
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 05/30/2018, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position.
Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Structured interviews; applicants may be asked scenario-based interview questions concerning core competencies.
Method/tools used to evaluate applicants: work samples, conducting a presentation, reference checks, tests may be used.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click this link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10171943