Director, Project Finance and Compliance, CI GCF Agency
7 days left
- Full Time
DIRECTOR, PROJECT FINANCE AND COMPLIANCE, CI GCF AGENCY
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
In July 2015, Conservation International (CI) became the first international NGO to be approved as an Accredited Entity for the Green Climate Fund (GCF). The CI-GCF Agency, a dedicated division within CI, works closely with the GCF secretariat, national governments, other CI programs and partner organizations around the world to identify, design and implement projects that meet the GCF’s ambitious standards.
The Director, Project Finance and Compliance leads the strategy for, and implementation of, the CI-GCF Agency financial, compliance and operations functions under the direct supervision of the VP CI-GCF Agency.
The Director is responsible, both at the project portfolio and division levels, for all aspects of financial management, including planning and modeling, budgeting, monitoring of financial implementation and financial reporting. At the proposal stage, this includes the development of complex multi-year project financial budgets, implementation arrangements, monitoring and evaluation systems for cross divisional projects or with external partners. For projects approved by the GCF, the position will oversee execution compliance, including financial management, sub-granting and contracting activities, and related capacity building for divisional staff and partners. Finally, the Director will assist the VP to oversee human resources, office space allocation and CI wide representation and overall division effectiveness.
- Work closely with the Technical team in the various stages of GCF concept and proposal development, and provide input and feedback on financial / organizational and legal aspects as required.
- Provide input to the team on innovative finance mechanisms included or associated with project development (especially regarding the structure/processes/financials); manage and coordinate the due diligence analysis of the partners and investments funds, and liaise closely with relevant experts within CI (e.g. Environmental Finance Division (EFD), General Counsels Office (GCO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO)).
- Analyse proposed innovative implementation arrangements to identify risks, mitigation measures; organize relevant internal consultations and approvals and liaise internally to increase awareness of these arrangements.
- Manage complex institutional assessments for potential non-traditional grantees before granting funding with a particular focus on governance, finance, reporting, procurement, sub-granting capacities of the partner; coordinate with the Finance and Legal divisions.
- Supervise the development of the financial structure of multiyear complex grant / non-grant proposals (up to 250M) at both concept note and full proposal stages.
- Supervise the development of detailed budgets under the designed financial structures and liaise with the Regional Ops Directors, Finance and Legal divisions.
- Negociate project operational, financial and legal terms with the GCF (termsheet and grant agreements), lead internal discussions and review of the terms.
- Elaborate cost estimates for project management to ensure full cost recovery within the negotiated fees.
- In coordination with the Technical team, design a CI-GCF project cycle including relevant milestones, reporting, monitoring & evaluation requirements.
- Oversee the financial monitoring of the project implementation.
- In case of external execution oversee the granting process to the external Executing Agency including pre-award due diligence, contracting, regular monitoring and fund transactions.
- Oversee project-level financial reporting and funding requests to the GCF in coordination with the executing program / partners.
- Act as the point of contact for finance related communication with the GCF.
GCF Compliance Oversight:
- Keep track of new GCF policies and changes to existing policies that could impact the financial and operational activities of the Agency or the project, relay within CI the changes and the potential impacts (Technical team, Finance, GCO, Global Project Management (GPM)).
- Master the Accreditation Master Agreement (AMA) signed with the GCF and work closely with the GCO to ensure CI compliance with its legal institutional obligations and at the project level.
- Ensure timely and compliant reporting to the GCF as per the AMA requirements.
- Design and maintain a dedicated set of policies and templates for GCF funded activities (internal / external agreements, contracts, reporting,etc) with consideration for the accreditation standards and the AMA requirements.
- Create dedicated training modules for CI on GCF funding with an emphasis on financial policies and procedures.
Internal and External representation:
- Liaise with Internal Audit and Compliance team on projects internally executed.
- As a member of the team, attend key GCF meetings / events.
- Serves as a liaison with CI’s financial and legal divisions, departments, and country programs teams to build positive relationships that will support the Agency’s mission.
- Deliver presentations and trainings to various audiences both in house or externally on GCF funding requirements and specificities.
Short term financial / Ops Management and Long-term Financial Planning for the GCF Agency:
- Develop, jointly with the VP of the division, long term (multi-year) financial plans for the GCF Agency including operational revenue and expense projections.
- Engage actively with the Finance Department to design relevant revenue recognition rules for the different revenue streams.
- Develop and monitor the division’s annual budget and revenue allocation process under the supervision of the VP; including monthly updates.
- Provide support for HR matters (recruitment, equity review, performance review).
- Approve timesheets, expenses reports, process vendor invoice, draft and manage service agreements, follow-up office space allocation, IT equipment procurement, etc.
- Ensure data accuracy on all ad-hoc requests from CI’s leadership or other partners.
- This position is based at CI Offices in Arlington, VA.
- Normal office environment conditions.
- International travel up to 20%.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or another related business field.
- Minimum of 7 years of related work experience in finance, budget management, internal audit.
- Experience with international grant making / contracting and in the management of a variety of donor requirements.
- Experience of working in an international non-profit environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity for consultation, negotiation, diplomacy and transfer of knowledge.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with complex information management and modeling.
- Must be detailed-oriented and organized.
- Ability to communicate financial analysis to a broad audience.
- Ability to solve complex financial problems.
- Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Excel.
- MBA or CPA.
- Knowledge of conservation / climate issues.
- Strong experience with non-grant finance instruments (equity / loans / guarantees).
- Advanced financial skills and knowledge of Oracle, Business World or similar financial data base.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluent in French or Spanish.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "accommodation" in the subject line.