Principal Engineer, Space Segment
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
As a leading contributor, this position is responsible for providing space segment engineering and analyses and support for Intelsat General Corporation (IGC) Customer Service Delivery, Sales, Business Development, and Solutions development activities. You will develop and facilitate technical solutions for customer requirements by analyzing satellite capacity needs and coordinating capacity reservations within Intelsat and with third party operators. This role will work cross-functionally to design and develop Intelsat EpicNG and other satellite end-to-end solutions, including satellite link parameters. In collaboration with teleport and terrestrial facilities, the Principal Sales Engineer provides expert technical support to Sales, Business Development, and Marketing in order to drive the development of revenue generating services and maintain IGC's competitive positioning. As an ambassador of IGC, this position will serve as a liaison across all levels of the company and be able to clearly articulate the Intelsat position to both internal and external audiences.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Fully engineer all aspects of a high quality technical solutions including: network designs, network sizing, equipment specifications, and transmission analyses (link budgets).
- Collaborate directly with customers, end users, Sales, and Solutions Development in the preparation of technical solutions (satellite & end-to-end) and Information Assurance checklists to ensure satisfactory link & terrestrial performance and compliance for new technologies.
- Provide analyses and solutions for customer network problems based on up-to-date expertise in satellite communication networks, computer hardware, and software applications.
- Identify, develop, optimize, coordinate, and assist in the implementation and management of satellite capacity.
- Oversee successful traffic transitions for IGC customers, and plan or lead the customer communications.
- Design and optimize satellite link parameters associated with ground network/terrestrial facilities.
- Assist with regulatory and inter-system satellite service approvals through coordination with the internal Spectrum Management group.
- Coordinate with Program Management and third-party/external program vendors and/or contractors to support the shipping, integration, installation and testing of equipment and service.
- Lead the development of technical presentation materials for the Sales team and for direct customer engagements, in support of proposals, task orders and work orders.
- Collaborate with internal and external groups to provide expert technical support to the IGC Secure Operations Center (ISOC) and Program Management to resolve service delivery issues or outages.
- Ensure that key issues are escalated to Management, when appropriate, to ensure timely decisions are made which are consistent with the organization's goals and objectives.
- Investigate and propose equipment or system enhancements to improve reliability, increase efficiency, simplify operation, or reduce overall operating and/or maintenance cost.
- Represent the department at all times, as a technical SME.
- Provide recommendations on process improvement, industry best practice and service efficiency.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience.
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must currently possess (preferred) or be able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance, with counter-intelligence polygraph.
- Expert knowledge of the key technical aspects of satellite services including: transmission analysis, communications payloads for communications satellites, transmission impairments and mitigation strategies, earth station equipment, digital modulation techniques and software analysis systems and tools used to support transmission analysis and network sizing.
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of military type satellite communication services; i.e., JNN network, COTM, to UAS and Manned ISR services.
- Good knowledge of computer and satellite/WAN network hardware and systems required, including modems (VIASAT/EBEM, Comtech/Vipersat, IDirect), routers, switches, fire walls, VPN concentrators and IP addressing.
- Prior knowledge or work experience is highly desired in the maintenance, troubleshooting, repair or installation of commercial or military satellite earth station or VSAT terminals (C, Ku or X-band) and related equipment.
- Must have excellent organizational and database skills, with the ability to coordinate between multiple systems.
- Must have excellent customer focus and be able to establish rapport and good relationships.
- Ability to meet with the customer face-to-face on short notice in support of war efforts and “surge" requirements.
- Ability to analyze complex situations and utilize problem solving abilities, under pressure.
- Ability to manage deliverables with teams in different countries, across different cultures.
- Strong ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers are required.
- Proven track record of team leadership and / or management
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills combined with strong negotiation ability.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical and communication skills.
- Must have ability to travel, mostly CONUS.
- Customer Focus
- Collaboration Champion
- Change Agility
- The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
- Established, proven documentation methodology.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent time management skills.
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- Please review the job bidding by current employees section in the employee handbook prior to applying for this position, thank you.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.