(Senior) Director of Analytical Chemistry (1076-679)
7 days left
- Full Time
The (Senior) Director, Science, Chemical Medicines is a key people leadership role within the Chemical Medicines Program Unit of the Science Division. The incumbent leads a team of Scientific Liaisons, ensuring alignment with the overall program unit and organization goals. The Director supervises the performance, training and development of the staff and ensures team work and collaboration within the team as well as with other key USP staff. The incumbent oversees all aspects of new monograph development and revision, and monograph modernization for teams aligned with the Small Molecules Expert Committees. The Director works closely with USP stakeholders across the organization to exchange information, obtain resources, solicit input, and advance the work.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership to scientists working in the area of monograph development and revision in accordance with established SOPs, business practices and procedures;
- Builds and establishes appropriate processes and systems to effectively improve operating productivity and manage continuous improvement programs;
- Develops new and/or revises existing processes to facilitate efficient monograph development and revision;
- Manages and plans budget, projects, personnel and schedules to perform specific projects according to deliverables and overall business priorities;
- Develops and directs senior staff by active coaching and training while cultivating collaborative team culture, creative problem-solving and result-driven operations;
- Maintains the highest quality of scientific foundations of USP’s Monograph development process;
- Participates in the annual department budgeting and planning process;
- Participates in USP-based teams or committees to support business practices and initiatives;
- Recruits new staff to support business needs, and contributes to the development the next generation of scientific leaders;
- Develops and implements training plans for new staff;
- Establishes goals and metrics for the team, ensuring alignment with the program unit goals and organizational goals, and evaluates performance against established goals;
- Manages staff workload, deliverables and output; provides updates to the department head;
- Mentors the Scientific Liaisons in their relationship with the USP Council of Experts and their Expert Committee in support of monograph development and revision; monitors Work Plan activities and facilitates progress;
- If necessary, advises Scientific Liaisons on monograph development and revision strategies;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
M.S. or higher professional degree in chemistry, pharmaceutical science, analytical science, or other relevant field with a minimum of 10 years of relevant, industry experience. Minimum of 4 years of experience supervising, leading teams, training, or mentoring of other staff members, including scientific staff. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
M.S. or higher professional degree in chemistry, pharmaceutical science, analytical science, or other relevant field with a minimum of 12 years of relevant, industry experience. Minimum of 7 years of experience supervising, leading teams, training, or mentoring of other staff members, including scientific staff. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
- Demonstrated success in a people leadership role. Strong business acumen combined with both management and leadership ability.
- Influential leader with the ability to drive problem resolution, transformation, and organizational change.
- Effective coach and mentor to staff. Ability to identify and develop talent.
- Demonstrated stakeholder collaboration experience, with the ability to quickly develop and manage internal and external relationships and contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to develop and deliver presentations to Senior Management and the entire organization.
- Demonstrated research, technical, and analytical skills, as well as the ability to take highly technical scientific information and make strategic recommendations quickly.
- Ability to lead in a fast paced environment with changing deadlines and priorities.
Approximately 8 Scientific Liaisons
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular