Assistant Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Quality Safety and Value
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR PHYSICIAN
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of VA for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the VA.
- Residency Training: Physicians must have completed residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. Approved residencies include those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education or American Osteopathic Association, or other residences which the Professional Standards Board determines to have provided appropriate professional training.
In addition to the education requirements, the following technical and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) are required for this position. Typically, these qualifications would be gained through education, experience and training which reflect progressive development and achievement in responsible management/executive level assignments in health care at a national or Network level, equivalent positions in a hospital/network/regional office or allied medical care facility, or executive positions in an academic institution. An individual's total experience and education must demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position. If you are currently a federal employee, this type of experience is typically found at positions at the GS-15 level and above.
To meet the minimum qualifications, applicants must possess all of the necessary requirements for this position, you MUST SHOW in your RESUME that you possess the five Mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Technical Qualification(s) outlined below. Eligibility will be based on clear and concise accomplishments that emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments (with results), policy initiatives and level of contacts.
Applicants can obtain a sample resume along with additional information regarding the Executive Core Qualifications on the Internet at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/qualify.asp.
A. EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
- ECQ 1. LEADING CHANGE: Ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- ECQ 2. LEADING PEOPLE: Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- ECQ 3. RESULTS DRIVEN: Ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- ECQ 4. BUSINESS ACUMEN: Ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Applicants may focus on resource management, with particular emphasis on financial management (budget).
- ECQ 5. BUILDING COALITIONS: Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Applicants may demonstrate that they have external contacts as well as internal interactions.
THIS MUST BE DEMONSTRATED WITHIN YOUR RESUME. A SEPARATE NARRATIVE IS NOT REQUIRED.
1. Experience in organizational concepts and administration of multi-faceted healthcare delivery systems; specialty and sub-specialty care; educational and improvement principles, programmatic oversight methodologies and evaluation techniques, including statistics, research methodology and program evaluation.
2. Expertise in Risk, Safety, Healthcare Value, Product Effectiveness, Healthcare Quality and Analytics and Informatics
REFERENCES: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Most of the work performance is at a desk, in an office setting. The position does require touring of the medical center for direct supervision, survey and environment of care issues. The incumbent occasionally carries books and papers to and from meetings and conferences.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must submit a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
Veterans' Preference does not apply to Senior Executive Equivalent positions.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In describing your experience please is clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified; errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.