Director, Facilities (1074-679)
Summary of the Position:
The Director, Facilities is responsible for developing domestic facilities and real estate strategies along with managing all domestic renovations and internal staff and third party vendors. Provides insight and advises management on global facilities strategy and execution. Additionally, the Director is responsible for maintaining overall operation and appearance of the all-domestic facilities, including proper environment for labs, production, datacenters, and office areas. This role negotiates leases, real property purchases, while developing test fits for staff and equipment. This position will ensure the proper environment for all USP staff.
The Director of Facilities oversees functioning of all building systems and takes lead role in vetting, selecting, and overseeing work of facility contractors engaged by USP.
The Facilities Director will be responsible for budgeting, cost control, space planning, project management, and lease administration and will manage all aspects of renovation, as well as a staff of skilled internal and vendor personnel. The position works in close collaboration with the Director of Security and in doing so, swiftly resolves facility safety and security concerns or implements interim risk management solutions in cases of facility system disruption.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Implements and evaluates facilities management strategies, recommending adaptations to meet changing circumstances;
- Serves as the strategic leader on all objectives in building and sustaining a best-in-class facilities department
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with leased buildings’ management and outside service providers to facilitate building maintenance and improvement activities
- Manages the implementation of facilities management policies and procedures that meet compliance requirements
- Maintains and tracks employee "work requests", providing relevant feedback to USP departments
- Develops strategies regarding the use of domestic facilities, ensuring proper environments, utilization, and appearance
- Develops strategies, manages placement of staff within domestic facilities, and makes recommendations regarding adding/subtracting space and refurbishment of existing spaces.
- Develops service agreements with vendors for work Develops and manages facilities budget including maintenance contracts, utilities, insurance, and leases.
- Estimates costs of projects for budgetary purposes while ensuring actual costs are within approved budgets
- Provides leadership for selection of architects and general contractors along with other contractors
- Develops and maintains relationship with USP real estate broker that can be used for expansion or reducing USP’s footprint
- Develops and manages strategy for energy conservation including energy audits and vendor relationships with utility companies.
- Member of Capital Planning Committee
- Responsible for annual capital budget of $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 and annual operating budget of $9,000,000.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in facilities management, business administration or related field
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in facilities management or facilities renovations or design with at least 5 years of experience in physical oversight and management of one or more properties of 100,000 sq. ft. or larger
- Five years’ experience in project management of facilities or related fields including estimating facilities project
- Some experience in site selection based on departmental needs along with negotiations experience in real estate leases
- At least 5 years third party contract management experience
- A proven track record of selecting and negotiating contracts with general contractors, sub-contractors and architects
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or related field
- A thorough understanding of facility renovation and construction
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and construction documents along with skills in CAD or REVIT
- Understand of lab/multi-use facilities
- International site selection, construction, and operational experience
- The ability to influence without direct authority
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Able to work flexible hours when needed. In addition to normal business hours of 8:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, serves on a team to provide 24 hour a day, 7 days a week response to emergency alarm calls and can be available on short notice to support requests during unusual hours, especially early or late in the day during the business week.
Yes: 4 Direct Reports and third party vendors
Key Working Relationships and Stakeholders
- USP’s Senior Executive Team
- IT Operations Leadership Team
- Reference Standards Laboratory Leadership Team
- Reference Standards Production Leadership Team
- R&D Leadership Team
- Safety and Security staff
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular