Sr. Web Writer and Editor
Senior Web Writer and Editor
Office of Marketing
Exempt, Regular, 100%-Time, Pay Grade 2.2
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Senior Web Writer/Editor. Reporting to the Director of Marketing Copy and Digital Content, the Senior Web Writer and Editor will be responsible for developing online content for paid and unpaid channels and developing content marketing materials in the future.
Successful candidates will have a proven track record of creating content to drive interest, engagement, and lead generation. The Senior Web Writer/Editor is expected to maintain up-to-date knowledge of web writing best practices, search engine optimization, content marketing trends, and higher education best practices.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Write and edit content across multiple channels that drive enrollment, including the university website, authenticated online experience, organic and paid online advertising, landing pages, e-mail marketing, and social media accounts. Structure content and metadata for search engine optimization.
- Work collaboratively on the development of a new university web site, providing guidance on information architecture, navigation, and content strategies. Coordinate with technical developers, web producers, and web designers to ensure the finished product meets content strategy goals and user experience expectations.
- Coordinate with internal video and social media teams to generate new project plans; collaborate with writing team to plan video projects, social media content development, and content marketing development (blog posts, whitepapers, infographics, webinars) that drive interaction, social sharing, and lead generation.
- Generate content audits and content inventories. Evaluate research and analytics data to make optimization recommendations for web content.
Conduct independent research online and through interviews with internal faculty and staff subject matter experts, students, and alumni.
- Ensure that online content aligns with brand messaging, research, and insights; is complete and accurate; is consistent in style, quality, and tone of voice; is optimized for search engines; and fosters engagement, retention, lead generation, and user experience.
- Perform quality assurance checks on his/her own work and the work of colleagues.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or related field; master's degree preferred
- 5 to 7 years of marketing and/or content development experience
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Web Content Management Systems
- Experience using Google Analytics
- Proven editorial skills and mastery of the English language
- Desires to continue learning and adapting in a constantly changing digital communications environment
- Thinks strategically and analytically
- Possesses excellent presentation, communication, persuasion, and negotiation skills
- Able to execute and manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines
- Able to remain positive amid constructive criticism and feedback
- Possesses a healthy dose of common sense
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience on a large-scale website redesign and rebuild project
- Experience in information architecture, user interface design, or usability testing
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.