CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (CERTIFIED)
Job Type: Full-Time Location: Water Pollution Control Bureau - 3402 S. Glebe Road, Arlington, Virginia Arlington County is seeking a highly motivated, team oriented, and technically competent Certified Control System Technician (CCST) to join our bureau in running Arlington County's state-of-the-art water reclamation facility.
This is an on-the-job training/work program at Arlington County's Water Pollution Control Plant which requires some technical experience and certification in order to enter the program. Please read this announcement thoroughly for details. The program is a structured, defined process for training, certifying and compensating employees as they move through an apprenticeship to the full-performance certified Control System Technician position within two years of hire date.
The program includes the following:
- Clearly-defined expectations of accomplishment at each level;
- Permanent status with the County only after completing training and certification requirements for full-performance CCST;
- Extensive County-paid internal and external training.
Work involves planning, development, implementation, modification, testing, analysis, alignment and evaluation of complex electronic systems within an industrial setting.
Specific duties include:
- Performing predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance of computer-based process control, SCADA, and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), using a variety of diagnostic tools, historical data, blueprints, factory specifications and the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS);
- Analyzing system failures or condition to determine root cause or potential for breakdown;
- Evaluating problems or work assignments to determine scope of project, to set priorities, to project resource needs and to plan follow-up activities;
- Leading projects;
- Documenting work and maintaining records;
- Coordinating work with other agencies or contractors;
- Assisting in the training of staff; and
- Monitoring work and systems to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and County codes, regulations, standards and mandates.
The full performance certified Control System Technician is responsible for designing, installing, maintaining, and repairing complex industrial control systems and equipment in the Water Pollution Control Plant (WPCP), Potable Water Pumping Stations, and Sewage Lift Stations. The employee works in the field, at the input-output level, diagnosing and resolving complex problems involving a variety of designs and modifications. This latter work, and the responsibility for designing new systems, requires that the CCST also have a working knowledge of electrical systems and computer programming. Additionally, the CCST performs diagnostic work up to the Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and the Process Control System (PCS) levels.
Work is performed in an industrial environment and involves exposure to high voltage wire, hazardous chemicals, strong odors, drafts, noise, dust, grease, and dirt with extended periods of standing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting light to very heavy objects and equipment, and working in confined spaces.
Selection Criteria: Minimum: High school diploma or the equivalent plus three years' progressively responsible experience in an industrial process control environment which includes performing installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and calibration of electronic controls, and indicating and recording systems used on industrial equipment operations and processes. See special requirements below.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement. A year of directly-related technical school training beyond the high school level, completion of an applicable apprenticeship program or a college degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, or a directly-related field may be substituted for one year of the experience requirement.
Special Requirements: 1) Must possess ISA Level II Certification.
2) Able to pass a respirator fit test and work in confined spaces.
3) Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Additional Information: Work hours are 6:00 am to 2:30 pm Monday through Friday; some overtime will be required; must be available for holdover and/or callback in emergency situations.
The Control Systems Technician (certified) Apprenticeship Program pay range is from $54,995.20 - $90,459.20. Entry pay and pay progression is based on meeting training, certification licensing and experience requirements.
Permanent status with the County is not obtained until completion of training and certification requirements for the full-performance position. All employees in the program must complete all stated requirements within the specified timeframes, or they will be subject to separation from County employment.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.