Managing Editor - Scientific Journals
2 days left
- Full Time
ASTRO, the American Society for Radiation Oncology, is searching for a Managing Editor with experience working with the publication of journals to join our Journals team. Under the direction of the VP Member Relations and Communications, the Managing Editor is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities and scientific editing of the Society’s three peer-reviewed medical journals, Practical Radiation Oncology, Advances in Radiation Oncology and the International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. Together, these three journals receive about 2,500 original research manuscripts per year, resulting in about 5,000 pages of published work annually.
This position will work directly with the Editor-in-Chiefs (EICs) and Senior Editorial Board to manage the editorial operations of PRO and ADRO. This position includes managing the work of a Journal Coordinator who is responsible for quality control, managing new author submissions and revisions and customer service. In addition, this position is responsible for supporting the efforts of our EICs and maintaining supportive relationships with about 100 editorial board members.
Additional responsibilities include managing the selection of articles for continuing medical education (CME) credit by working with journal editors to write test questions and ASTRO education staff to ensure timely production of CME courses; acting as staff liaison for editorial groups with responsibility for strategic planning, manuscript and reviewer recruitment, and managing performance metrics and maintaining a relationship with our electronic submission software provider to ensure maximum efficiency and utilization of the software.
Qualified candidates will have:
Five to seven years journal publication experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent work experience required.
- Electronic publishing experience required.
- Experience with scientific publishing preferred.
- Knowledge of peer review editorial review processes.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with all levels of individuals in electronic, print and oral formats.
- Experience working with editorial boards or committee preferred.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills. Familiarity with AMA style a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Ability to work well as a team member and independently.
- Experience coordinating with society guidelines and open access publishing models a plus.
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred.
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
Flexible work arrangements
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Employer subsidized commuter benefits
- Employer paid life, short and long term disability insurance
- and more
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply: Click Here
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.