Senior Engineer, RF Systems
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16715.Network Engineering
Travel %: Less than 20%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 3 years of experience required
Equivalency: Combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Primary Purpose Of The Position
The Senior RF Systems Design Engineer is responsible for providing new and re-engineered ground infrastructure design solutions for Intelsat and customer RF/antenna, communications, and monitoring systems. These solutions take into account appropriate redundancy, availability, scalability, and manageability requirements to support spacecraft Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C), In-Orbit Testing (IOT), and Transfer Orbit Support Services (TOSS) as well as Service Level Agreement (SLA) performance criteria for Intelsat's terrestrial network platform services. Primary, backup, and co-location ground infrastructure sites may be under Intelsat or 3rd party ownership.
- Provide system design for RF, Antenna Communications, Monitoring (Payload and Geolocation), and spacecraft TT&C/TOSS/IOT services as well as hardware connectivity and interoperability with Intelsat's terrestrial network platform services.
- Potentially lead and provide project planning, execution, implementation and support of IF/ RF/Antenna systems, Communications systems, Monitoring systems (Payload and Geolocation), and spacecraft TT&C/ TOSS/ IOT services to include new ground network projects involving video, broadband and mobility services.
- Assist in developing and establishing guidelines and operational procedures in conjunction with and for various Intelsat Operations Departments when new technologies are introduced to the Ground network as applicable.
- Participate in and potentially lead activities associated with planning, procurement, and operations of Intelsat ground network systems including: performing system trade-off studies, definition of technical requirements, proposal evaluation and contract negotiations, monitoring system designs, creating/ reviewing required project documentation, such as link budgets, system block/rack/cable diagrams, test plans/ procedures/ reports, and supporting ground network operations.
- Provide technical leadership in the design and deployment of existing systems that require re-engineering as the services and demands change.
- Collaborate with Customers and partners of all types to establish solid, positive working relationships and serve as the primary representative and champion of designated projects and groups.
- Participate in ongoing operational issue resolutions and assist in development of internal troubleshooting and maintenance procedures.
- Support NetEng initiatives for process improvements and standardization.
- Provide inputs to RFIs, RFQs, and RFPs and compliance matrices.
- Create SOWs, equipment cost documents, test plans, procedures and reports as required.
- Work with internal and external customers and other external parties to clarify technical issues and implement new services.
- Contribute to developing and maintaining project plans and schedules.
- Identify and escalate project budget shortfalls.
- Actively manage project risks.
Required Skills And Knowledge
- Four year degree in computer science, electrical engineering or engineering technology with a minimum of 3 years hands-on work experience in the satellite industry.
- Solid knowledge of satellite communications, RF signal processing technologies and theory, higher-order modulation and coding techniques and ground station antenna systems from VSATs to complex teleport implementations.
- Excellent understanding of and hands-on experience in small to large antenna systems technology, IF/ RF communications systems, monitoring systems, and/or TT&C/ TOSS/ IOT RF/IF Baseband subsystems.
- Ability to troubleshoot IF/ RF and antenna subsystem problems of moderate complexity.
- Excellent team, organization and planning skills.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to develop and manipulate spreadsheets and use other tools to perform mathematical calculations as required.
- Excellent command of the English language; including the ability to create readable engineering documents under the direction of more senior engineering personnel.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure goals are met.
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.