Online Advocacy and Fundraising Manager
Come join the team at Public Citizen! We’re a hard-hitting and progressive non-profit that takes no corporate or government money, marries technical expertise with grassroots mobilizing, and is leading the charge to counteract Trump and the corporate power that is choking our democracy.
As we expand our team, we are seeking a senior level person to serve as our Online Fundraising and Advocacy Manager. This person must be innovative, knowledgeable, committed to progressive values, hard-working and able to motivate people to action.
We need someone who can lead in developing and executing our online campaign and fundraising strategies. They must be able to guide and work with an online advocacy team. And they should bring the experience and instincts to enable us to raise more money, develop creative content and effectively engage our 400,000 members and supporters.
A few things about you: Please be an awesome writer who enjoys crafting clear and compelling fundraising emails and action alerts. Please take joy and pride in creating and carrying out long-range online fundraising plans with specific and aggressive targets. Please share our passion for progressive politics, unflinching belief in the power of people, and uncompromising critique of corporate power.
- Conceive and implement new and creative online fundraising campaigns, taking cues from current events, the organization’s policy work and issues that resonate with Public Citizen’s supporters. These campaigns will be in synergy with other fundraising efforts and advocacy priorities.
- Write effective fundraising appeals.
- Meet annual goals for online fundraising.
- Develop and implement new and creative list-building approaches.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled planning/strategy/professional development meetings for Public Citizen’s online team.
- Oversee Public Citizen’s email communications to its 400,000 supporters, including action alerts and informational emails from all organizational divisions.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on the performance of online activism and fundraising emails.
- Oversee the exploration, negotiation and completion of mega-petitions, email exchanges and paid acquisition with other organizations.
- Manage the third-party application (Salsa) used for action, donation and event pages and emails; oversee use of this system by other online team members.
- Monitor trends and innovations in eAdvocacy, eCommunication and eFundraising; judge what would and would not be helpful to incorporate into Public Citizen’s online program.
- Stay informed and engaged on current events, politics and policymaking as they relate to Public Citizen’s mission and the goals of its online advocacy and fundraising programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Knowledge and Skills: Thorough grasp of the political process, advocacy work and public interest issues. Talent for writing clear, creative and compelling email copy; ability to distill complex political and policy ideas into succinct messages that motivate readers while fitting within overall organizational goals and maintaining consistency in tone and style. Facility for quick, careful copyediting.
Solid proficiency in HTML. Advanced familiarity with principles and mechanics of electronic databases. Fluency with CRM and CMS applications, particularly the Salsa platform. Complete and up-to-date knowledge of email best practices, including format and coding, deliverability and spam, testing and metrics.
Work Experience: Employment in issue/election-based online campaigns, grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy and/or public relations. Demonstrated success in nonprofit online fundraising. Demonstrated success in project and team management
Capabilities: Highly organized, efficient, and detail-oriented. Comfortable in a fast-paced, demanding workplace; adaptable to daily fluctuations in priorities and workload. Strong interest in and commitment to the public interest. A good sense of humor is a major plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Great medical and dental coverage. Three weeks paid vacation for new employees.
Please send a cover letter, a resume and three writing samples, including examples of action alerts and/or fundraising emails, to Margrete Strand (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to put “online advocacy and fundraising manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. Public Citizen employees are proud members of SEIU Local 500. People of color, women and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.