Director, Event Services (Part time - 20 hours per week w/ an increased number of hours in Oct/Nov)
The purpose of this position is to develop and support business aspects and relationships for the Convention & Meetings Unit. This position has responsibility for defining, negotiating, and managing contracts with selected event supplier partners, project management for some special initiatives and process enhancement to support the growth of the Convention & Meetings team. The position requires expertise in contract negotiations and management of RFPs for primary and secondary supplier services (such as AV, shuttle services, CSR partners), experience with budgeting, cost containment, identification of new and unique revenue opportunities, event best practices, innovative event marketing, venues, equipment, utilization of technology solutions, etc., to best serve the objectives of an event. Strong industry knowledge on trends, tools and best practices, business acumen, and a stellar reputation for customer service is required. The Director, Event Services serves as a subject matter expert and advisor to the meetings team, as needed, and supports the Director, Convention and Meetings on assessment and implementation processes of new initiatives. The position requires understanding and application of strategic objectives of the Association, as well as policy and procedures as they apply to the events of the Association. The Director, Event Services will also work collaboratively to support the Exhibits, Program and Travel teams. The position will have specific on-site logistical responsibilities during the Convention, including but not limited to registration support, partners fulfilling special initiative needs, events at off site venues, and will play a key role in and post-meeting billing reconciliation. Travel is required for the position.
- Support and manage various RFPs, including assessment of needs and requirements documentation, identification of sites or potential bidders, selection process, contracting and eventual coordination with key event service supplier partners. Assess and enhance processes related to implementation and management of this large pool of services, and provide guidance to Convention and Meetings staff on best practices for RFP and vendor management
- Generally monitor and recommend enhancements to systems, processes, tools, policies and customer service standards for meetings and events; bring new, best-in-class ideas and practices to the Association practices, and specifically ensure inclusive practices and risk mitigation in all contracting related to event services.
- Provide event strategy guidance as requested, to national office staff with responsibility for specialized meetings and events such as affiliated state associations, ASHFoundation, Special Interest Groups, the association student organization, and PAC. This may include contractual review, help establishing appropriate processes or standardized template development, and overall strategy assistance.
- Establish systems for implementing year over year special initiatives, to include research on viability, necessary partners, costs, risks, implementation requirements, and evaluation of completed projects.
- Serve various roles on-site at Convention, managing assigned supplier partners, supporting staff, managing some off site events, and generally supporting the logistical needs of the Convention. Ensure that customer service standards are met, and that necessary policies and practices are in place for PCI compliance, data management and security, and information systems.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- BA/BS degree in related field
- 7–10+ years related experience
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Accomplished industry professional with excellent knowledge and comprehension of event location analysis, logistics and management of events from conception to completion
- Association event planning experience preferred
- Advanced negotiation and contracting skills; ability to understand and interpret reports to forecast accurately
- Exceptional project and time management skills; ability to use multi-tasking skills to prioritize and oversee multiple events concurrently
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of setting
- Ability to learn and implement new software applications with relative ease
- Ability to evaluate ROI, cost-effectiveness, and conduct cost analyses
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Ability to extend to full time work in October and November in support of Annual Convention
- Dedication to detail and ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- Positive work ethic and excellent customer services skills; ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with the public
- Commitment to working both independently and as a team player. Ability to relate well to others, build relationships, and constructively interact with a variety of employees, volunteers and vendor
- Demonstrated ability to influence and persuade groups and individuals to understand and consider impact and consequences of decisions; Ability to make important decisions and to know when to refer decisions to others
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and communicate clearly with diverse groups of people including members, association leaders, staff, corporate partners, vendors, and other professionals
- Creative thinker with innovative spirit