Program Attorney for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) - Georgetown University Law Center
Program Attorney for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Georgetown University Law Center
Tradition. Innovation. A superb faculty, hundreds of course offerings — and all of this just steps away from the Capitol and Supreme Court. Georgetown Law is an exceptional institution in an enviable location. Students come here from all over the world to study international or tax law, environmental or health care law (just a few of our specialties). They come here for our top-ranked clinics. Most of all, they come because this is the place where theory and practice meet. At Georgetown, students learn the law in the place where laws are made.
The Program Attorney for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) creates and implements approximately 10 CLE programs which generate more than 50% of the department's annual revenue and attract more than 1200 attendees annually. S/he works closely with many CLE program Advisory Boards, Planning Committees, and CLE faculty, including federal and state judges, federal agency heads, law firm senior partners and corporate general counsels. Reporting to the Director of Programming, the Program Attorney has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Oversees program planning and participates in the entire planning process, including the development of the program agenda and the coordination of speakers.
- Uses legal knowledge to manage the agenda creation process and drafts CLE brochures with the Advisory Board and/or Planning Committee.
- Analyzes program financial data to make recommendations on price increases and tuition levels, as well as expenses for catering, audio-visual services, and speaker travel.
- Selects conference date and locations for CLE programs by analyzing competing outside venues in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, and by reviewing the timing of all competing same-subject programs being offered by our competitors.
- Helps create and manage program budgets at the beginning of each fiscal year, including expenses such as speaker travel, lodging and meals, speaker honoraria, catering, course materials, marketing, and CLE accreditation.
- Reviews draft marketing plans based on knowledge of the legal audience, including practice areas, law firms, legal trade associations, corporate legal departments, and legal web sites and publications.
- Proofreads and edits marketing pieces for proper legal language and terms.
- Determines which sessions to live webcast and/or video record for use on-demand based on knowledge of the subject area and latest practice trends.
- Motivates, directs, and monitors approximately 500 volunteer attorneys annually.
- Implements the department's online curriculum and serves as the direct supervisor of the Program Coordinator.
- Negotiates hotel contracts for the most significant CLE programs and co-sponsorship agreements with national associations and organizations, which are critical to the department's financial performance.
- Proofreads program brochures, participates in advancing the department's social media initiatives, trains other team members, performs project management, handles special projects, and assists with non-traditional CLE programming.
- Maintains an operations manual of all processes and procedures for the position.
- Juris Doctorate or Master's degree with previous high-level CLE experience
- 3+ years of professional experience, preferably in continuing education or higher education
- Experience in project management, including balancing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in helping start up new projects from inception and building new in-person and online programs and projects into successful revenue generators
- Proficiency with basic software programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, with the ability to work proficiently in database systems and event management systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with high emotional intelligence and great attention to detail
- Ability to balance many tasks and projects, work well in a team environment, and prioritization skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate well to diverse persons in the legal profession
- Experience in CLE or legal community
- Experience with Salesforce, CRM systems, and in seminar planning
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.