Financial Services Manager I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and training.
Web Announcement :
Director, Accounts Payable
The George Mason University Purchasing and Accounts Payable Office is seeking a talented Director to manage the day-to-day operations of Masons Accounts Payable team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Reporting to the Chief Procurement Officer, the Director shall oversee two direct and nine indirect reports, while ensuring that Accounts Payable (AP) operations are conducted in accordance with Commonwealth and university policy, as well as Accounts Payable best practices. Duties include:
- Oversees check runs, electronic payments, and check distribution, as well as all general reimbursement processing across the university;
- Serves as Accounting System (Ellucian Banner) subject matter expert for AP and oversees all system upgrades; and directs testing efforts, reviews current processes and system capabilities to identify necessary enhancements;
- Monitors, reviews and verifies AP transactions for accuracy, timeliness, and adequacy of supporting documentation; and ensures compliance with internal policies, agency rules and regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles;
- Ensures appropriate processes and systems are in place for 1099 reporting and unclaimed property reports, and reviews and audits 1099 filings for accuracy and completeness;
- Manages personnel aspects of the AP team, including hiring, work load management, performance appraisals and feedback; and provides mentoring and helps develop internal talent;
- Determines AP work priorities, and identifies and implements changes to improve productivity and increase efficiency;
- Recommends internal control upgrades to ensure appropriate checks and balances;
- Manages year-end closing activity relating to AP;
- Analyzes, resolves, and responds to complex or difficult problems presented by team members, university departments and suppliers;
- Creates, monitors, and reports on appropriate departmental metrics to support the institution; and takes action on metrics as needed;
- Ensures written documentation is up to date on all internal policies and procedures;
- Reviews honorarium and scholarship requests for appropriateness; and
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Accounting, finance, general business degree from a four-year college/university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Prior experience supervising accounts payable personnel (significant experience as a senior manager is strongly preferred); and
- Prior experience overseeing some or all functions in a high-volume AP department.
- Expert-level experience in managing AP transactions through Banner;
- Certified Accredited Payables Manager (APM) from the Institute of Finance and Management;
- Experience managing an AP department in a college/university setting;
- Supervision of an AP department with a minimum of 10 employees;
- Previous experience in a high-volume AP operation (2,000 plus invoices/ reimbursements/transactions per week);
- Strong understanding of internal control concepts and processes related to disbursements; and
- Expert level understanding of all aspects of an Accounts Payable enterprise resource planning system.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01604z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :