Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
California Regional Recruiter
The George Mason University Office of Admissions invites applications for the position of California Regional Recruiter to focus recruitment efforts throughout the greater metropolitan areas of the state. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will spearhead the recruitment and enrollment of primarily undergraduate (freshmen and transfer) students by developing and implementing effective student recruitment and marketing plans that meet the strategic enrollment goals of the university. This position serves prospective undergraduate students in California and will be expected to work from a home-based office, ideally in Orange County, California. The incumbent must be willing to serve and travel within these areas to visit high schools and community colleges, and must possess finesse in building strong relationships with students, families, school counselors and other stakeholders. This position may require additional travel within the state and continental U.S. for recruitment and/or other meetings, and requires the ability to handle trips of various durations.
This is a full-time, year-round position that requires a commitment of 40 hours per week, with some evenings and weekends. This position reports to the Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions. Responsibilities for this position will also include:
- Represent George Mason University to a wide and diverse audience in high schools, community colleges and at college fair programs, prospective freshmen, transfer students, and their families throughout the state;
- Maintain relationships with secondary school counselors and community college counselors;
- Correspond with prospective students and their families;
- Connect with Mason alumni and parents;
- Organize various admission activities;
- Participate fully in the evaluation of applications and selection of the incoming class;
- Attend college fairs/nights and make individual visits to high schools and community colleges in the surrounding area and states within the region during the fall and spring of each year;
- Organize and supervise local area receptions for prospective students in the fall, and yield events for accepted students in coordination with Spotlight Days and the Mason Roadshow offered in the spring each year;
- Manage electronic recruitment correspondence;
- Arrange and conduct individual interviews with students as well as organize regional group information sessions for students, parents, high school counselors and community college counselors;
- Telecounsel with prospective students to encourage campus visits as well as apply for admission; and maintain appropriate follow-up communication with these students and their families regarding the status of their applications for admission and financial aid;
- Actively participate in various university committees;
- Work closely with the Undergraduate Admissions leadership team to ensure that Mason is making every effort to attract and enroll a diverse student population from the region;
- Work closely with the Admissions Office Travel Coordinator when organizing recruiting visits and handling work-related expenses;
- Join, and participate in, regional admissions and school counselor associations to build solid working relationships;
- Work with the Alumni Office to cultivate a local alumni group to assist and support the collegeâ€™s recruitment efforts in the region; and
- Other duties to be assigned by the Director and Senior Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required;
- Willingness and ability to travel extended periods and work extended hours, including evenings and weekends;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to complete administrative tasks autonomously;
- Superior interpersonal communication skills;
- Exemplary decision-making skills in the absence of direct supervision;
- Good organizational skills;
- Technologically literate, comfortable with social media and learning new software;
- Self-motivated, eager to learn and take on new assignments;
- High energy is necessary as it includes heavy travel and night and weekend hours;
- Ability to independently manage and complete work assignments without close supervision is mandatory;
- Ability to set up a home office within Orange County, California, or in the immediate surrounding area.
- Valid driverâ€™s license; and
- Ability to safely and independently lift 20 pounds.
- Masterâ€™s degree;
- Knowledge of high schools and community colleges in the greater metropolitan areas of California; and
- Demonstrated experience in higher education, high school counseling, public relations, or sales.
Employment offer is contingent upon meeting eligibility requirements for operating state-owned vehicles and passing a background check.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02787z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :